We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

moving copy of office 2010 from broken computer to replacement

robinhawkins@btinternet.com

Likes # 0

how do I move my copy of office 2010 from broken computer to replacement. My old Acer with Win7 broke. I had bought Office 2010 for it and wish to use that copy on my new HP laptop. How do I make this happen. I have serial numbers etc.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

It may have come with 2 or 3 licences, so you may be OK. If not, I believe you'll have to ring MS and try to persuade them to activate it on the new machine.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

You can move your Office 2010 as long as you have the serial number. Not sure why you should need to phone Microsoft. I have Office 2007 and I have lost count of the PC's its been on.

Like this post
proudfoot

Likes # 0

I have Office 97 and I have used it on Win98, Win Millenium, XP and now on Vista. Just enter the registration key. It hasn't got all the bells and whistles on the more recent versions, but it does all I need it for.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Your Office 2010 license allows you to install the software on both your desktop and laptop - you can run it on both machines at the same time - so there's no problem here.

Just install the software on your laptop and let it activate via the internet; it will ask you to allow it to do that when you use any Office 2010 application for the first time.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Chronus. Not what I've found. A friend had a 3 licence version. When he came to replace his primary PC, the Office install could not be activated. He had to call MS. Is it possible that your version is a 'company' one which allows unlimited installs?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I moved my Office 2007 from my old Pc to new without having to call MS.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 1

My version is simply a paid for version, certainly not a company version,whatever that maybe.

But you may be correct in that if you exceed 3 activations then it does become necessary to phone Microsoft. I found this elsewhere.

1.uninstall from current machine, if possible. You have to make sure that it is no longer usable on the current machine, IE, if it is a "brick" you are OK. The thing is that the activation process does not actually take notice of the uninstall. Sloppy, yes. 2.Install the "transferred" license on the new machine 3.Do an internet activation. If you are past the limit of concurrent installations it will fail 4.In that case do a phone activation. Navigate to a "live" service rep. 5.Explain that you are doing a license transfer from "bricked" or retired computer. That is supposed to be the "magic words" 6.If they aren't satisfied, you ask for a supervisor and explain again.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Chronus - yup, that's what I had to do

Like this post
robinhawkins@btinternet.com

Likes # 0

Thank you Chronus I'll get on the case again in the next few days and follow your advice. Mine is a paid for copy: I bought Office 2007 version and got a free upgrade to 2010 a few weeks later. Fingers crossed.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia Lumia 930 review: The flagship Windows Phone 8.1 smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Live Blog: Apple financial results, record June quarter, 35.2m iPhones sold, $37.4b revenue

IDG UK Sites

Welcome to the upgrade cycle - you'll never leave

IDG UK Sites

Why smartphone screens are getting bigger