We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Connecting to a Network Printer, - I'm Stuck

thegreypanther

Likes # 0

My main PC runs Windows 7 and uses a Samsung laser printer PC1). My wife's PC (PC2)runs Windows Vista and is networked to PC1 using a wireless network. PC2 can access both the internet and PC1's files/folders using this connection. But I cannot get it to access the printer on PC1.

If I select "Add a printer" on PC2 it only sees the inkjet already connected to PC2. If I then click on PC1 on the network icon in Windows Explorer, I am asked for User Name and Password in the dialogue "Connect to PC1". Whatever combination of User names / Passwords I have tried fails.

Am I correct that the password is the PC1 network password? Or is there a network password for PC2? Where do I find the User name?

Any advice given will be much appreciated.

Like this post
Jollyjohn

Likes # 0

OK on PC1 ensure the the printer is shared. Then ensure it is on and active, not on standby.

On PC2 Open Control Panel Devices etc Hardware and sound Add printer Select "wireless, network or bluetooth printer" Hopefully the printer on PC1 should be listed. Click on it Install driver if needed, allow, when prompted. The process will complete and a test page can be printed.

If any of these steps fail let me know what, if any, error messages you get.

Like this post
thegreypanther

Likes # 0

Jollyjohn

The printer is shown as shared on PC1. On PC2 the printer isn't shown, but if I then select "Browse for a Printer" PC1 is shown on the network (But no printer).

If I now select PC1 from this network option, I am asked to enter the Network Password. I duly copy this from the page "View and print your Homegroup Password" on PC1.

But no matter what "User name" I enter, - e.g. Workgroup, Homegroup, my own name etc. etc. I always get a "Login failure... " result.

All very odd, as PC1 has been set up to share Pictures/Music/Documents/Videos/Printers.

And I've even changed the password so that it uses characters that I'm not likely to mis-type!

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Like this post
Jollyjohn

Likes # 0

You state PC2 is on Vista - At what point do you get "Browse for a printer"?

If I go to Control Panel Hardware and sound Printers Add printer - I then get a box entitled Add a printer and the choice to add a local printer or add a network printer. If I select Add a network printer then Vista searches automatically and finds my printer on my W7 pc. The option at the bottom ask - Printer not listed - if you follow this link, a box pops up to "find a printer by name or tcp/ip address" If you select "Browse for a printer" you get a list of PC's on your network. Is this the point at which it fails?

If so we need to change a setting on PC1.

Like this post
thegreypanther

Likes # 0

Brilliant rdave 13!!! and many thanks Jollyjohn.

All the time the problem was with needing to TURN OFF password protection on both PC1 and PC2. After that, everything went like clockwork!

The procedure shown by rdave 13 works a treat.

Like this post
Jollyjohn

Likes # 0

Hi

Sorry about the delay, had to stop Vista and boot W7

On PC1 go Control Panel, network and internet, homegroup, change ADVANCED sharing options. Scroll down and "Turn off password protected sharing"

Hope this now works.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback