We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Connection Has Timed Out

DoccyD

Likes # 0

Hello,

I am increasingly getting "Connection Has Timed Out" messages when using Firefox, Chrome, Safari and IE. Friends can connect to the offending sites without difficulty.

I have up to date Flash Player and Java and use OpenDNS.

I have rebooted the computers (two on the same router and both having the same problem), rebooted the router, switched off my firewall, cleared cache, history etc.

My connection speed is around 5Mbps

I have run out of ideas and would be grateful for advice.

Many thanks

DoccyD

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Possibly OpenDNS at fault. Try contacting them. Dumped them years ago with similar issues and the fact that they gather info about you. Rather my ISP did that as at least I pay the piper. See if anything is blocked in your account with them.

Like this post
DoccyD

Likes # 0

Trouble is I use OpenDSN as a filter to protect my kids - it is very good at that!!

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

The next time you go to one of those sites Open Taskmanager to see what is using up most of the CPU under processes.Maybe a conflict with some of your security programs.What Anti-Virus Anti-Malware programs and what firewall do you use.

Some programs like Zone Alarm,Spybot and MSE can cause a few problems.Norton used to be a big problem at one time.

If you don't use Windows Defender go into Services again and turn it off and stop it from running.I would also go into Windows updates while in there and set that to manual and stop it running just to see if it helps.You can always run your updates manually every 2nd Tuesday of the month.Or if no difference turn Windows updates back to automatic.

My Anti_Malware program Emisoft will automatically stop bad sites from opening and may get the odd one wrong so just a matter of allowing it again.

To affect all Browsers the Firewall would most likely be the prime suspect.Routers I don't have a clue.There seems to be flash updates quite often now so check again that you have the latest same with java and remember to remove all old versions.

Like this post
DoccyD

Likes # 0

Thanks Buteman,

Strange thing is - the problem has spontaneously resolved!! This past few days everything has been running perfectly - strange things, computers.

Thanks for your help, mate.

DoccyD

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

They sometimes do sort themselves out over a few weeks .Whether an ISP fault or not who knows,

Click on the For Example bit on this to make sure your DNS has not been infected.

http://www.dcwg.org/detect/

Mine has a green surround and that's ok.Just bad if it comes up with a red surround.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Mac tips tricks & hacks: 10 things you didn't know your Mac could do