We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

The registry cannot load the hive>

zeppman

Likes # 0

My friend has a desktop PC when they try and boot it up this message aoppears.

STOP c0000218 (registry file failure) The registry can not load the hive (file) System root \system 32\config\SOFTWARE or its log or alternative. It is corrupt,absent ornot writtable. Being dumped of physical memory. Physical memory dump complete. Contact your system administrator or technical support group.

Can anyone help with a fix for this please.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

And the make and model of the computer or laptop.

Like this post
zeppman

Likes # 0

It's XP buteman

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

I would leave it till someone that knows better can give you the proper details of how to fix it.

I just picked that other bit up from Google so do not know if it will work or not.

Wait and see what other help you can get first before trying that.

I don't suppose the computer will start now.if not will it start in safe mode.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

This is a fun one to sort looking at this:Microsoft. It would probably be simpler taking the hard-drive out ,slaving it to someone else's PC, copying all your personal stuff, putting the drive back in and then reinstalling XP.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I would certainly take Chronus' advice and try and retreive all your docs, photos etc before trying a repair.

Kellys Korner system or software hive damaged.

Recovery console XP

Like this post
zeppman

Likes # 0

Dell

I will try and get model ,I know It's about 6 or 7 years old

Like this post
zeppman

Likes # 0

I dont think they are bothered if they lose whats on the hard drive as long as they get it going

Like this post
zeppman

Likes # 0

buteman it says Dimension 5100 on the PC which is a Dell

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

The make and model really only matters in regards to whether or not it has a recovery partition or not and how to access it. Knowing nothing of Dells perhaps someone with experience of this brand can advise on how to reset to factory settings or whatever it is called. Either that it will need to be an. XP disk the COA number which should be on a silver sticker somewhere on the PC. You would also need to download all the drivers,particularly the motherboard etc before you reinstalled Windows XP.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon Kindle Voyage release date, price and specs UK: a high-end eReader with Amazon’s best-ever...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How to successfully bridge the gap between clients and creatives

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room