We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

The registry cannot load the hive>

zeppman

Likes # 0

My friend has a desktop PC when they try and boot it up this message aoppears.

STOP c0000218 (registry file failure) The registry can not load the hive (file) System root \system 32\config\SOFTWARE or its log or alternative. It is corrupt,absent ornot writtable. Being dumped of physical memory. Physical memory dump complete. Contact your system administrator or technical support group.

Can anyone help with a fix for this please.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Does it show a yellow mark in device manager. To open device manager.

1. Click on Start and then Control Panel.

2. Click on the Performance and Maintenance link.

Note: If you're viewing the Classic View of Control Panel, you won't see this link. Simple double-click on the System icon and proceed to Step 4.

3. In the Performance and Maintenance window, click on the System icon near the bottom of the window.

4. In the System Properties window, click on the Hardware tab.

5. With the Hardware tab selected, click on the Device Manager button

If you do see a yellow sign just go to the motherboard makers website and download to a USB stick the drivers for your adapter using the PC you are on at the moment. Though the motherboard driver disk should have this driver on it.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Chronus, it should have all the drivers on the disc that's why I suggested to check the bios to see if the network adapter was enabled. Hopefully it's not faulty.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Rdave13

In an ideal you are correct but it is not the first time that I have had trouble with adapter drivers off a disk,particularly with XP. As a rule if I am reinstalling XP on someone's PC I tend to download the Lan driver and the Audio as they seem to be the most troublesome.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'