We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

The registry cannot load the hive>

zeppman

Likes # 0

My friend has a desktop PC when they try and boot it up this message aoppears.

STOP c0000218 (registry file failure) The registry can not load the hive (file) System root \system 32\config\SOFTWARE or its log or alternative. It is corrupt,absent ornot writtable. Being dumped of physical memory. Physical memory dump complete. Contact your system administrator or technical support group.

Can anyone help with a fix for this please.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

If it's an usb keyboard can you borrow one with a ps/2 connection?

Like this post
zeppman

Likes # 0

I'm going to try another usb port but I'm not getting any response so I cant reinstall XP or start Windows normally in start up

Like this post
zeppman

Likes # 0

I'm going to try another usb port but I'm not getting any response so I cant reinstall XP or start Windows normally in start up

Like this post
zeppman

Likes # 0

No luck the keyboard and arrows dont work so cant navigate to do anything.I cant even do a reinstall of XP.

Like this post
zeppman

Likes # 0

No luck the keyboard and arrows dont work so cant navigate to do anything.I cant even do a reinstall of XP.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Like rdave13 says try a keyboard with a ps/2 connector.if you don't have one borrow one from a friend they have this type of connection.

http://www.computerhope.com/jargon/p/ps2.htm

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

As has already been said unfortunately you will probably need to borrow or even buy, they're only a fiver or less, a keyboard with PS/2 connection, thats the old round one at the end of the cable. If you can get into the BIOS you should be able to enable Legacy USB which hopefully will mean that you can use your USB keyboard.

Like this post
zeppman

Likes # 0

We bought a new keyboard and managed to reformat and install XP.I have installed drivers but cant get an internet connection.When I go into network connections it is empty.We rang Talk Talk the internet provider and the say thee Lan card might be corrupt is there a way of checking this before we pay out to get one fitted.

Like this post
zeppman

Likes # 0

We bought a new keyboard and managed to reformat and install XP.I have installed drivers but cant get an internet connection.When I go into network connections it is empty.We rang Talk Talk the internet provider and the say thee Lan card might be corrupt is there a way of checking this before we pay out to get one fitted.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Check in the bios that that the adapter is enabled.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback