We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

The registry cannot load the hive>

zeppman

Likes # 0

My friend has a desktop PC when they try and boot it up this message aoppears.

STOP c0000218 (registry file failure) The registry can not load the hive (file) System root \system 32\config\SOFTWARE or its log or alternative. It is corrupt,absent ornot writtable. Being dumped of physical memory. Physical memory dump complete. Contact your system administrator or technical support group.

Can anyone help with a fix for this please.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

If you're not going to try and repair the software hive via the recovery console, as the links I included, then a Dell that old should have it's own Dell XP disc and drivers disc. It should also have a recovery partition though I don't know, without searching, which keys to press during boot up.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Can you press ctrl and F11 as the computer tries to start to see if it lets you open Factory settings.

Like this post
zeppman

Likes # 0

We have the operating disk and drivers .If I reinstall XP and the drivers will this cure the problem.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

.If I reinstall XP and the drivers will this cure the problem YES.

Like this post
zeppman

Likes # 0

We have the XP operating disk & drivers.I F12 boot menu I got into boot menu but the up and down keys were not responding

I also started the PC in F2 This gave options for

Start windows normally

Safe mode etc The count down to start counts down and stops on 6 secs and again the up and down keys do not respond and If I press enter nothing happens

Like this post
zeppman

Likes # 0

We have the XP operating disk & drivers.I F12 boot menu I got into boot menu but the up and down keys were not responding

I also started the PC in F2 This gave options for

Start windows normally

Safe mode etc The count down to start counts down and stops on 6 secs and again the up and down keys do not respond and If I press enter nothing happens

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

To be honest, seeing you have the Dell XP disc, it would be worth going to the recovery console using the disc as shown in my second link. Follow the command instructions in Kellys-Korner for the software commands to repair. If it works then you gain not having to reinstall and having to do all the Microsoft updates etc. again. If it doesn't work you can the fall back to reinstalling Windows.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Sorry cross posted, didn't see your last post.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

zeppman

I just downloaded W/7Sp1 with the help of Chronus and others and Microsoft updated most of the drivers and I only had Two to download from the Acer site.So Microsoft do a fairly good job of updating most of your drivers for you.

Maybe you do not need the XP keycode but I would have it ready just in case.It should be stuck the outside of the case somewhere.It may even give you the opertunity of just doing a repair.

You may have to go into the bios and change the start up to DVD or CD whatever it is.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Sorry you just posted before me so Ignore my remarks.

Not sure what you can do now so will leave you with the experts.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

An Apple fan's perspective on the Windows 10 launch

IDG UK Sites

Sensor-laden kids' watch with 3G launches in Japan

IDG UK Sites

2014 Retina iMac release date rumours, specs and features: 27in 5K Retina iMac 'launching this mont'......