We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Change or not to change Security setting on new Super Hub

buteman
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi just got a new Super Hub from Virginmedia a few days ago already set up with it's own passtphrase for logging in.

Reading on the Virginmedia website it says there is no need to change the Passphrase.Username or Password as it should work Ok the way it is set up.

Any views on leave it or change it.The password and the username must be obvious to all those that use Virginmedia so not very secure I would not think.

The Passphrase is used when signing into the wireless connection and may be secure enough but not easy remembered although it shows it on the back of the hub.

What is the chance of someone hacking into your wireless connection if they don't know your Passphrase.If none I will leave it as it is.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Hey buteman just a joke. I know what you mean about bright blue lights. I had some case feet made for me then put blue LED's in them but they can be a bit overwhelming when trying to nod off. Bright lights LOL.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I always switch off/power off my router at night. It doesn't seem to make any difference with speed and it saves a small amount of power.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Thanks Woolwell.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Try sticking a small bit of sellotape over the led, it might defuse the brightness?.

Regarding passphrases or passwords, if someone wants access, and they have the knowledge, then nothings impossible. Having just seen a demonstration by Cambridge University on Chip and Pin access, using electronic devices, then anything is possible. That demonstration made the bank's statements about security a slight embarrassment!.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Very best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more...

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday feeding frenzy infects the UK

IDG UK Sites

VAT MOSS: Will I be affected by the EU VAT changes? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers