We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

avast

norrisnovice

Likes # 0

my friend downloaded a free version of avast which expired she wanted to get another anti virus programe in its place but between the two of us we have found it impossible to uninstall it we have tried every thing from control panel to suggestions in the avast forums we are both realitive novices so we are lost has what to do next. can we install a another antivirus programe without avast been uninstalled my friend just plays online games such has mahjong and uses just one website is it safe for her to use he rpc for this without a anti virus has my friend is house bound we would be ery gratful for any help it would seem from the avast forums a lot of people have had this problem thanks in advance to anyone kind enough to help

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Have you tried this? Avast uninstall utility

This will explain how to get into safe mode, Safe mode.

Like this post
norrisnovice

Likes # 0

thank you for that suggestion yes have tried that no luck

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Free version should not expire.Maybe go into the license and renew it.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I would regard Avast as one of the 'better' free anti programs, so what you decide to replace it with, will of cause be your choice. Avast normally informs you about expiry dates and renewal, even on the free version.

Did you try 'updating' before you tried removal, because if you had, then it might have been likely that Avast would have prompted you regarding renewal.

If you want to remove the program, because you are not able to do so, using normal procedures. Then try Revo Uninstaller, which can be downloaded for free, from places like http://www.majorgeeks.com or http://www.filehippo.com

If you do use Revo Uninstaller, which is a very good program for uninstalling problem downloads,then take note on how to use that product, especially if you are a novice.

The other option might be CCleaner, which also as a program uninstaller. CCleaner can also help in many other ways, and is well worth considering, because it does the job its intended to do. Another free download, from the links above.

Like this post
rawprawn

Likes # 0

I would try downloading the latest version, and then Re Installing Avast

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

rawprawn

Good idea from rawprawn.Download the latest version to see if it will install and just use that.

If it doesn't instal use Revo Uninstaller to remove it like spuds says.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Alpha vs iPhone 5S comparison review: Metal smartphones fight

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Fonts review

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014