We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Bent pins on my video cable. Help please :?

Catherine_H

Likes # 0

I have quite an old monitor, an HP Pavillion f1723. Today I was trying to plug the monitor cable into the computer and I have accidently bent some of the pins at the end of the video cable. The monitor itself is working fine but of course, I am not able to view anything on it because I now cannot attatch the monitor. I cannot align the pins back into place either :/ As the video cable is attached to the back of the monitor, I am not sure if I can buy another cable to replace it. Does this mean that I will have to buy a new monitor? Or are there other ways that I can view my computer's desktop, through maybe my TV monitor, for example?

Any answers would be greatly appreciated, Cat

Like this post
eedcam

Likes # 0

Is this the type cabling4less or your local pc shop

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

What do you mean by the video is attached to the back of the monitor? Do you mean that it cannot be detached from the monitor? Do you have the old style monitor? A CRT like the old style TV's? Not a flat screen? I think if my memory serves the video cable is permanently attached. If that is the case then you are long overdue to move in to flat screens, as you will not be able to repair the cable on the CRT,which can be had for very little cash dependent on size.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Chronus

I have a relatively old flat screen, and the cable is an integral part.

Catherine - You may be able to straighten the pins with small needle-nosed pliers. If not, it's a new monitor.

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

Quit while you are ahead!

Bent pins can be straightened with suitable pliers and careful work, but they are very brittle and will snap very easily.

Worse, if you plug your cable back in and a pin is still not right, there is a very strong possibility that the pin will break and stay stuck in the socket at the back of your computer where it may be impossible to remove.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Diemmess

I agree about the ease of which it is possible of breaking a pin. To be honest it is possible to pick up a used monitor for sweeties these days.

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

Try a Freecycle group in your vicinity or even a local repair or sales shop. Most people have moved on to a flat screen so there are still many of the old hefty CRT monitors lurking in roof spaces or a garage.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Or are there other ways that I can view my computer's desktop, through maybe my TV monitor, for example?

one of these will connect to your flat screen TV VGA port

and this one for sound although you may need longer.

Check the connections on the rear of the TV before buying.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Secondhand LCD monitors sell regularly for a tenner on ebay. I know - I've bought two!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback