We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

cleaning laptop

Markito

Likes # 0

I am running Windows XP Pro with Norton Internet Security 2012, together with Norton Utilities 15 on my laptop. Today I read on PD Advisor an interesting review of PC Tools Performance Toolkit. (I also use CCleaner regularly.)

I find Utilities rather slow and clunky though it does its job if you're patient. For example the disk fragmenter and boot optimizer take for ever.

Do you recommend that I run both your reviewed Performance Kit along with Norton or is there too much duplication and use of too much disk space? In that case, which should I use and could I safely remove the Utilities if appropriate?

Many thanks in advance.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Overkill

stick with what you have.

If not satisfied with performance then uninstall and try a different optimiser but to be honest they can cause more harm than good.

CCleaner is one of the best and safest tools around, using it to clear out rubbish, clean the registry and control start up programs plus an occasional defrag (NOT SSDs)of the hard drive, adequate memory / virtual memory, and a "clean" system is enough.

My 7 year old P4 XP systems stills flies with out the use of optimisers.

Like this post
Markito

Likes # 0

Thanks Fruit Bat.

I'll stick with what I have.

I am only a moderate computer user, so how often would you advise defragmenting? And, since I clean regularly, is this likely to be the major cause of the slow opening of my browser front page (Mozilla Firefox)?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

I rarely defrag, so maybe 6 monthly you can analyse before defragging and it will tell you if a defrag is necessary.

FF slow start ups are often down o profile problems see here

Like this post
Markito

Likes # 0

Many thanks again.

The new profile seems to have made a slight difference. But if I've been using the computer for a couple of hours or more, opening Firefox still takes longer than earlier on in my session.

I'll accept that as long as I know there's nothing wrong, which there certainly doesn't seem to be.

All the best and thank you.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Tried uninstalling and reinstall FF?

Like this post
Markito

Likes # 0

I just did. It works and now operates at a better speed than ever.

Many thanks, Fruit Bat.

(I'm happy to close this thread now.)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia