We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

XP Taskbar is 'shivering' all the time?

sinewave

Likes # 0

Bought a refurb DELL D630 and whilst doing the usual updates I noticed the taskbar was shivering a bit like a TV picture does when showing signs of inteference?

It does it all the time even when the laptop is just idle although the rest of the screen is fine?

Any ideas??

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Is the Taskbar 'locked' when this happens? Right click on an empty area of the Taskbar and if it is 'unlocked' set it to 'locked'.

If this fails let us know.

Like this post
sinewave

Likes # 0

Hi John,

Thanks for replying!

Yes the taskbar is already locked. Have tried unlocking it and re-locking it but it makes no difference??

Like this post
amonra

Likes # 0

Does it do it when on battery only ? Sometimes a faulty power-unit can give that effect.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Like this post
sinewave

Likes # 0

Yes it does it when on battery and mains power.

It does seem to be related to disc activity I feel?

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

I have never seen this problem, but a search has revealed similar problems associated with bad connections between the motherboard and screen and between hardware and the motherboard; this seems to link in with your comment that it "seems to be related to disc activity".

I would suggest two options:

1. If you bought it recently and it is under warranty, take it back.
  2. If it's out of warranty, check all connections, especially those of the HDD.
Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

A interesting point about "related to disc activity", but at the same time you mention that "it does it all the time".

Because on occasions I have a similar problem, which seems to indicate a conflict within the program I am using. Normally this comes about, while I am listening to a cd, and at the same time using the computer. As its only occasional, I haven't really bothered about finding a solution.

The other problem, could be something more sinister of a failing part, so it might pay to see if the 'shivering' expands.

Possibly nothing to do with your problem, but just a thought?.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback