We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Boot.ini in windows 7?

Bazz2000

Likes # 0

Hi people, heres my problem, I have a dual boot windows 7 (never really used) and XP pro. I had a couple of crashes and i seem to have lost xp. I dont get any option to boot into xp now it just goes straight to win 7. I can access the xp partition and see all the files etc but dont know how to boot to it. If it was XP I would edit the boot.ini file to include the other operating system but I have no clue about how the equivelent is done in win 7. Basically, everything is where it should be but I cant boot to it. I also tried disconnecting the win 7 drive to try and force it to XP but that wouldnt let me as it said inaccesible resource or something like that. Many thanks guys

Like this post
Bazz2000

Likes # 0

Update: I have found the startup tab in control panel where boot.ini would be, but its only showing windows 7. Seems I need to rewrite this file so it includes the xp instilation.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Windows Vista/7 doesn't use boot.ini. You need a program download called EasyBCD to take control of your bootloader.

See here enter link description here (There is a link at the bottom left of page to download a Free version for limited non-commercial use)

This documentation tells you what it does and why you should use it - enter link description here

It is not a program I have used and I only have limited knowledge of it but I do know of friends that have successfully used it so for that reason I am unable to advise you any further. However the documentation appears to explain fully what you need to do.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

This explains and may help you enter link description here (Also for Win 7)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

See the festive spots creative companies have released for Christmas

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad