We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Ombudsman for computer company complaints?

lastard

Likes # 0

Hi! I wanted to ask if there is an ombudsman scheme dealing with computer company issues. Bought a Lenovo Thinkpad L420, which broke after 9 months and the company is refusing to repair it claiming liquid damage, which is not covered by warranty (L420 are supposed to be liquid damage proof anyway). Had machine checked by other service, and they didn't confirm liquid damage. Still, Lenovo refuses to repair it.

Thanks, Angela

Like this post
johnnyrocker

Likes # 0

without too much knowledge i would suggest office of fair trading, or if purchased with a credit card the issuer of same. or possibly trading standards?

johnny

Like this post
johnnyrocker

Likes # 0

without too much knowledge i would suggest office of fair trading, or if purchased with a credit card the issuer of same. or possibly trading standards?

johnny

Like this post
johnnyrocker

Likes # 0

johnny

Like this post
johnnyrocker

Likes # 0

sorry for triple post PCA again?

johnny

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

"broke after 9 months"

what's wrong with it? How is it broken? Casing, Hardware, software?

Like this post
lastard

Likes # 0

It doesn't switch on any more. Had it checked by another company and they said that 'chips had worn out'. They also said that it wasn't worth repairing, because it would cost me about the cost of a new laptop.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

'chips had worn out' A rather vague diagnosis, doesn't sound helpful at all.

There must be more to the history of how it got 'broken'. Was it that it was working normally then next time it just wouldn't switch on? I wonder why Lenovo say it has 'liquid damage'. Was it the shop/retailer that you bought it from that sent it back to the manufacturers?

Re Advice, have a look at the info on Direct gov

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Try http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk

If the Thinkpad is only 9 month old, then you should have taken up the claim via the retailer that you purchased the item from, unless you purchased direct from the manufacturer and their sales outlet.

Like this post
lastard

Likes # 0

I contacted Insight UK, where I bought the laptop, but they said that they cannot do anything if Lenovo claims it is liquid damage. I just don't know where this liquid is supposed to have come from. I took the laptop on a transatlantic flight where the machine was stored in an overhead locker in a watertight case. before the flight, everything worked ok. after the flight nothing worked any more.

Thanks for all the advice so far. Trading standards does not seem to deal with individuals. Consumer Direct suggested legal action and the credit card route. It's all taking up a lot of time, energy and money so far.

Angela

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

In my opinion (and this is my personal opinion) If the retailer has said 'can't help' then if you purchased it via your Credit Card then it is their responsibility so I suggest you telephone them and take advice from your credit card company who will tell you what they want you to do - the next steps to take. They may say that if you doubt there is any 'Liquid Damage' you need a professional Independent and legally recognisable examination of the laptop to ascertain it's condition. It would need to be from someone who would be able to produce a report that would 'stand up to legal scrutiny' that the CC company can rely on in order to reimburse you for the value of the laptop.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

Apple updates MacBook Pro line-up: Price cuts & spec boosts for 6 MacBook Pro models

IDG UK Sites

Long live the internet fridge: the Internet of Things is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Prometheus' colourist Juan Ignacio Cabrera gave a tense, edgy feel to Chosen