We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Web Hosting

Jodakist

Likes # 0

I have a small family history web page that was set up through Microsoft Office Live Small Business'; however Microsoft are discontinuing this service at the end of April when they introduce their latest web hostingOffice 365'. Having read through the information supplied, it looks as if this will be much more expensive than the present web hosting so I would like to ask if anyone can recommend a cheap web host for my family site. I am not a business, just a retired old family history researcher biding his time until I meet up with the ancestors.

Any help would be gratefully accepted.

Thank you,

David

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

There are a number of web hosting facilities about, and some are more favourable than others, depending on choice. Some ISP's run their own free hosting for customer's, so it might pay to look there?.

Personally. I use 1&1 for my needs. http://www.1&1.co.uk

You could also look at this hosting review-comparison website http://www.hosting-review.com/uk.shtml?gclid=CIuIw4Diw68CFQITfAoDBd7jQ for further information.

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

I had a small website that had been on hosted on free webspace from Freeserve with an old dial up account for years. I wanted to get off it as it was limited to only 15MB, but didn't really want to pay.

A few months ago I came across this free service 000webhost.com

I switched over and it has been fine since.

The only issue (if you can call it that) was that the original domain name that I had was of the style rabbit.co.uk which was registered through easyspace and redirected to the Freeserve hosting at rabbit.fsnet.co.uk (but was displayed in a rabbit.co.uk frameset controlled by easyspace so visitors only saw rabbit.co.uk). Whereas now it is of the subdomain style rabbit.site88.co.uk and that is what visitors see. One can opt to host your own domain with 000webhost, but it is quite contrived and I would not recommend it unless you are very familiar with the way nameservers and changing the nameservers associated with a domain all works.

Like this post
LastChip

Likes # 0

123-reg and HartInternet are also both well regarded.

Like this post
Jodakist

Likes # 0

Thank you spuds, Batch and Lastchip for your replies, I will have a look at your suggested sites.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 review: Great if you like big, expensive phones

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

This Grolsch ad combines stop-motion & CG for majestic results

IDG UK Sites

Apple rumours and predictions for 2015: What to expect from Apple in 2015