We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

New pc - slow internet connection

adambucky

Likes # 0

I am experiencing a slow internet connection using my new desktop

Internet speeds using BBC connection speed test being as follows:

Laptop (built in wi-if)- 8334 kbps - when both desktop and laptop on and using internet Laptop (built in wi-fi)- 8374 kbps - when desktop off and only laptop connected to internet

Desktop - -448 kbps - when laptop on and using internet Desktop - 438 kbps - when laptop off and only desktop using internet

As an example it took me two hours on my desktop to download 221MB and with other downloads it was still as slow

I am using a TEXET wireless 802.11b/g/n USB adapter with advertised connection speed of 150 mbps and I use a BT wireless hub

I don't think it could be the hub as the desktop runs slow whether in competition with my laptop for internet connection or not
Also if it was the hub why would it always give such a fastest rate to the laptop when both are on.?

According to the Realtek 11n USB software which came with TEXET wireless adapter it shows signal strength 67% and link quality 99% - I would expect a faster connection if these are correct.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

desktop specs: i7 2600 Intel core , ram 8GB, 1TB Hardrive

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Have you had a look in device manager to see if any yellow exclamation marks.Or checked Taskmanager to see if anything using up most of the CPU. If you are getting 8mb download speed on the laptop you should be getting about the same on the Desktop.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Has duplicate thread running in Networking Forum

Like this post
adambucky

Likes # 0

Hi Thanks for everyones help Turned out to be a faulty wireless adapter

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon 3D smartphone release date, price and spec: The hologram phone?

IDG UK Sites

You're never alone with a clone: How the App Store got taken over by copycats

IDG UK Sites

PCs vs consoles: PCs still pwn when it comes to gaming (and everything else)

IDG UK Sites

Come together to learn: the secrets of the best design talks, conferences and courses