We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Internet Explorer 9 - 'Favorites' snag

kwil2

Likes # 0

Hello... I'm running Win7 (64-bit) with Internet Explorer 9. I've been cleaning up my Favorites list, deleting no longer needed entries. However, one stubbornly refuses to go. I'd created a folder to place the entries in and the entries themselves have deleted but left me with an empty folder I cannot delete. All I get is a window saying 'cannot be found at this location'. I tried going into Users>My Name>Favorites>then trying deletion from there. But no joy.... Also tried renaming with a view to deletion...but IE wouldn't let me rename...same window as above. All this is more of an irritation than anything else but I feel I must be missing something simple...and want to know what to do in order to update my own 'knowledge base'. Anyone know if I can 'forcibly' delete this annoyance? Many thanks

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

What is the name of the favourite you are trying to delete?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Is it still there after you log off then log on again?

Like this post
kwil2

Likes # 0

Hi Chronos...thanks for taking time to reply... Just named it according to the general contents....straightforward naming. As I said, the entries themselves are gone, just leaving the folder name. Tried going into Safe Mode>then Users>Favorites...but still would not delete...Window: 'no longer found at this location' for some reason. I must be missing something simple here.... Any ideas, anyone?

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

In safe mode try dragging and dropping into recycle bin.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Try this, create a folder on the desktop with the exact name of the folder you have in your favourite list. Open the fav list and see if you can drag the folder and drop it in the folder created on the desktop. Then try right clicking and select delete.

Like this post
kwil2

Likes # 0

Hi again...tried both as above...still no go...grrrr!

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Try it the other way. Open your favourites folder through explorer then drag and drop your same named folder from the desktop to the folder in favourites. Try deleting.

Like this post
kwil2

Likes # 0

Hi rdave...thanks for your time and patience on this...and to all others. Tried the 'reverse' as suggested....all I got was two folders now with the same name! The one I dragged deleted no problem, leaving the offending one still sitting pretty and mocking me!

I tried Command Prompt: C:\Users\My Name\dir to see if I could somehow delete from there. 'Favorites' directory was there but it's impossible to dig down the directory to get at the offending folder.

Also right-clicked folder>Properties>Security tab to check if the folder's being inadvertently shared.... All I got was a message saying: the requested security information is either unavailable or can't be displayed I just don't get it...the damn folder's empty and should be easily removed. Right-clicking it>Properties gives location as: C:\Users\My Name\Favorites Yet when you try to delete all you get is a window stating 'no longer found at this location'!!!!!!

I have File Assassin which is usually excellent at removing or unlocking troublesome files...but it can't deal with a folder, empty or otherewise.... Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! Any other suggestions would be welcomed... Many thanks

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

The folder on the desktop didn't 'drop' on the phantom folder then?

Like this post
kwil2

Likes # 0

I take it you mean dragging it over should have allowed me to replace the offending folder, since it had the same name? Only duplicated it and as I said, deleted easily, leaving the offender!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

iPhone buying advice: Should I buy an iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 5s, or iPhone 5c, or wait for7......