We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

CPU usage

bturner

Likes # 0

I have a 1 year old Packard Bell desktop PC.

Right now I only have this webpage open and nothing else, CPU usage is low and fluctuating between 0% and 5%. The fan is on but very slow and quiet.

I trade Foreign exchange during the week and have 2 platforms open and during busy hours the CPU usage can be between 50% and 75% and the fan is on constantly. The fan gets faster and louder as the CPU usage rises.

I make sure I have no webpages or email accounts open to try to help things and use the laptop for that.

So the platforms are the only applications running, there are a lot of processes but they use 0 or 1% CPU. It is a Pentium dual core CPU.

Does the RAM or HD have anything to do with this? I don't think so. It has 3GB of RAM and uses about 40-50% of that at most.

I am just worried that the PC will overheat. I don't want to have to buy another PC but if this one cannot handle it what specification do I need to look for, higher RAM, bigger HD or a better CPU?

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Neither RAM nor hard drive capacity will make any difference, but you don't say what size your CPU is, a more powerful one might make a difference.

However, have you made sure that the interior of the PCs case is clean and free from dust/fluff, a built of which can and usually does make a difference. Also make sure that fans and grills are clean and clear of dust and fluff, make sure too that the PC is not 'buried' under a desk or in an airless corner of a room/desk, the more space around, above and below the PC will help to keep it running cool.

Like this post
bturner

Likes # 0

Thanks for the reply.

The only information I can find on the CPU is in "Start, control panel, system"

"Pentium (R) dual core E5800 @ 3.20 GHz 3.20 GHz".

Yes it is an all in one and on top of the desk, nothing above it, 2 foot from the wall, plenty of room all around it. It has done this from new, fan on all the time even with just 1 webpage open but it increases with CPU usage.

I have never taken the back off but the grills are completetly dust free.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

CPU is a reasonable size, but you might be surprised if you take the back/side off to clean out dust etc!

Like this post
bturner

Likes # 0

Maybe you are right, I just avioded doing that in case in invalidated any warranty.

It's one of these.

http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/GradeA2-PackardBellOneTwoLI8524UK23InchCorei3All-In-OnePC_A2-PW.U5KE2.081/version.asp?refsource=LDfroogle&gclid=CNPA07aduq8CFYsntAod402nhw

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Your link did not work - what is the Model Number?

Like this post
bturner

Likes # 0

Sorry, it is a Packard Bell Onetwo L5831

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

OK, so I don't understand what your problem is, though Google tells me this is a Notebook, not a Desktop?

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Just read your initial Post again - so it is a Laptop. Only other recommendation I can make, is to make sure that you do not use it on your Lap, only on a level hard surface, and to perhaps get hold of a Laptop Cooler, although I don't think yours is running at a particularly high temp.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia