We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How can i stop my Dongle using/stealing Excess MegaBytes

abs1105

Likes # 0

I am using a Vodaphone dongle to connect to the internet, My problem is that although i only use it to browse, ( I do not download OR Use it to view videos or listen to music etc) sometimes it will use only 3-10 M.B's over an hour or 2, but at other times when i look to see how much ive used, it can have used 30-50MB's i know that sometimes it will be my A.V. updating.... but it alone cannot be using large amount. How can i (A) find out what programmes are stealing all these secret M.B's and (B) block them so as i stop these M.B's being waisted and costing me money. Thankyou in Advance

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

It's not just videos and music and files that you can download. Every time you browse and view a webpage it is downloading that page to your pc. Some webpages are bigger downloads than others with all the adverts etc.

I use Firefox browser with AdBlock Plus to make the pages a smaller MB and quicker download.

Which browser are you using?

Like this post
abs1105

Likes # 0

im using firefox WITH Adblock, the thing is i realise the ads, photos, flashvids, etc on the pages will use up a certain amount of MB's but i am usually viewing mostly the same pages, so how can it be such a large difference? also i did find what loooked like a great programme called Connection Manager/Monitor that comes with NET TOOLS, but it just crashes every time i start the thing (Ive tried running it with compatibility mode an ADMIN rights, but it still crashes) It looked like the ideal prog tho for what i needed, ;-(

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I use the free Broadband Usage Meter from http://www.thinkbroadband.com/tools.html one of it's statistics logging features is the ability to view details of each of the sites pages/visited and show how many KB were downloaded and uploaded.

Like this post
abs1105

Likes # 0

Thanx lotvic what im looking for tho is a programme that will not only tell me exactly which prog/App etc is using these MB's but also gives me the ability to block or disable them, which is what the NET TOOLS5 CONNECTION MANAGER/MONITOR does...... if only it didnt crash !!!!!

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I can only suggest you check the settings on each and every program you have installed and set them to not update automatically, which you would have to do anyway even if you got a program that identified the ones that are doing so at the moment.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

abs1105 - you might already be using 'Onspeed' so forgive me if you've got it.

If you haven't used it then it's worth a look - it costs £25 per annum.

http://www.onspeed.com/en/?A=GoogleBT

I have used it for about eight years and it works well on my (1 Gb / month) virgin mobile dongle (as well as dial-up), the software also gives a statistical breakdown of what is being downloaded and uploaded ie..text-based, graphics or others.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

I'm about to buy a house where the current broadband speed is just 1 Mbit - so this is a bookmark for Onspeed... :-)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

What's the best smartwatch? 11 iWatch rivals compared in our wearables round-up

IDG UK Sites

App cloning: the mobile software industry’s hidden shame

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features