We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Firewire to USB Converter?

AFoxyLady
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi have an external CD, and the firewire cable power plug etc that all came supplied, when i bought it a few years ago. I now have a both a net book and laptop, that do not have any firewire connections. Is it possible to get a Firewire cable one end with a USB connection the other end?

I want to be able to watch Video Tutorials that are supplied on a disk on the netbook,and be able to work on the laptop. The netbook does not have a cd / dvd drive.

Any help or suggestions much appreciated.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 1

You mean something like these? You need to determine which is your preferred solution, but most are relatively inexpensive.

Like this post  
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 1

Thinking about it, I struggle to believe that a simple cable can do the job. Surely, USB and FireWire use different protocols - so the FireWire device would be sending signals that the USB port wouldn't understand? I'd think it was more about logical connectivity than physical connectivity - so you'd need some sort of converter. I'm probably wrong...

Like this post
AFoxyLady

Likes # 0

Just found this!

Think it will work, and for the price, I guess I can't really go wrong....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FIREWIRE-1394-6-PIN-FEMALE-TO-USB-MALE-ADAPTOR-IEEE-/280780682559?pt=UKComputingCablesConnectorsRL&hash=item415fd5353f#ht1228wt_1402

Like this post
AFoxyLady

Likes # 0

Ok Guys and Gals - How do I now tick its resolved!

Reading another thread it said to the right of Likes where I posted the first question.... But I can't have the correct glasses on cos I just can't find anywhere it says "Resolved"

Sorry Blonde numpty here.......

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

On the right, just tick a tick that you like - it should go from grey to green (then "post") - you appear do have done that on johndrew's answer

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Like this post
AFoxyLady

Likes # 0

Thanks, but I already have one of those , and it only works with a camera. The small connector fits into any one of several of the cameras that I have.

I need a converter perhaps that I could put the fire wire in (female) and the opposite end would then be a USB. Having read much older threads it wasn't possible, but as technology has moved on, perhaps USB 2 would have enough power.

Neither the laptop or netbook has any pcmi (?)slots in either, as I also have a card converter, which I originally used on my old laptop when I bought the external cd.....

Back to the drawing board.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Nontek: the customer reviews aren't exactly positive... :-(

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs UK: Is this the actual Note 4 - video

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

How Ford designs next-generation cars at its Melbourne Design Centre

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, rumours, video, UK price & images: iPhone launch event confirmed for 9...