We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

What type of backup?

Housten

Likes # 0

Good Afternoon, Everyone,

I know I am being thick and stupid, but I am having a problem with what sort of backup I should be doing! What I hope is that someone will read what I wish to do and then tell me – exactly – what I need to do in order that I have the sort of backups that I want.

I think my needs are not great as all I want to do is a backup at the start of every month and then a differential one thereafter – whether daily, twice-weekly or just weekly - for the rest of that month and than start again. What I have found is EaseUS to be very good, I thought it did incremental/differential backup but the version that I had did not. I looked on their website and found their forum and found a lot of very unhappy people as Version 3.5 did these backups, but as I had the new improved 4.0.5 version this did not. On the forum a site was listed and from that I downloaded 3.5. I find it very good but – and this is where I am having a problem – I am confused as to what I should be doing. I know, I know read the manual, but I have and all it has done is confuse me even more!

I have seen a comment lately that the ‘best’ backup is a ‘system image’ backup, which should be done quite quickly and if it has to be used to recover a crashed disk it is also very fast to re-install. That is all very well and good but, as far as I can see, EaseUS doesn’t do this so another question is raised in my mind, should I now have to go through another round of trials of backup programmes to find one which will do this or not? I spent quite a long time to find this programme and I would rather not have to do that all over again, but if that gives the ‘best’ backup I suppose that that is something I should, at least, consider. Or perhaps EaseUS does do this ‘system image’ and me being thick and stupid just doesn’t recognise because different phraseology is being used.

So with all my confusion does anyone know what sort of backup I should be making? I am not in favour of having any sort of compression so that if there is a problem I can find the file(s) that I am having a problem with and just either copy them or recover them – that is something else I don’t really know which is better!! Also is it worth having the integrity of the backup checked? Some programmes seem to infer that it is not necessary, whilst state that it is worth doing – just adds to my confusion!! If there is someone who could inform what or which I should be doing I would be very, very grateful.

Many, many thanks in advance for any and all comments.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Network-attached storage (NAS.

The latest EaseUS Todo has incremental back up and will also backup a system image. I personally do not bother as with a small SSD drive I find it just as easy to reinstall Windows 7.

It would have been useful if you could have linked to the earlier post to which you referred.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

System Imaging.

To do this successfully and safely you will need at least one spare drive of similar size to that your current OS and data is on, you will also need a good piece of software to carry out making the image. Again I would suggest ATI for the task but you have made it very obvious that you dislike the software.

For information about system imaging, you could read my link. For producing a system image using W7 there is a reasonable link here. If you use another OS you will need to select your software, perhaps by Googling 'System Imaging Software' - some is free others are commercial.

You may also consider cloning your drive on a regular basis as a form of backup if so there is information here and a list of software here.

Like this post
Housten

Likes # 0

Good morning, everyone.

Many apologies for not coming back sooner but we have been having a bit of a nightmare recently, and this has taken up much of my time.

Chronus

I do not know how to do a link, but the post I was referring to is 'Information on backup programmes', which I posted on 21st November. I know many, many people do texting, can't get on with that, so I suppose I am a dyed-in-the-wool old fashioned reactionary. If some wish to think that - or anything else, for that matter - that is their prerogative!! Me, I am too old to bother or care.

johndrew

Many thanks for your advice, which I will check out when I manage to get some free time. As I said above, things are not going well but hopefully this period should not last much longer.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S5 mini vs HTC One mini 2 comparison review: Design and price beats additional...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

Colour-depth not resolution is what will make 4K a success or failure

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Which new iPhone 6 model should I buy?