We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Can Iphone 4s power adaptor be used to charge a Kindle?

Flak999
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have an Iphone 4s and a new Kindle wifi, can I use the Iphones usb mains charger to charge my kindle? I have googled this but cannot find a definitive answer.

Thanks for your help.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

4S Charger Technical Details

Output: 5VDC, 1A (max) Input: 100-240VAC, 50-60Hz, 0.3A (max)

The iPhone's USB power adaptor is slightly more powerful than the Kindle's 4.9V 0.85A,

The problem with wall chargers is:

some work on the kindle and others do not.(my mp3 player charger will not charge my kindle.)

It seems to be something to do with the resistance between the data pins 2 an 3 - some chargers have no connection to these pins and therefore resistance is infinite, the kindle needs to see 1.2 ohms before it will charge. Even Amazon state you need a different charger for different model kindles.

Try it it will not hurt kindle or charger, does the Kindle power led come on? Does the battery symbol show charging but not flickering on / off?

Like this post  
Mr Mistoffelees

Likes # 0

why would you not want to use the Kindle's own charger?

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

Thanks for the replies, Fruit Bat I will give the charger a try and report back. Mr Mistoffelees I can't use the kindles own charger as it was not supplied with one, just a USB lead for charging from a PC.

There does seem to be mixed opinions all over the net on this one.

Like this post
Mr Mistoffelees

Likes # 0

My partner was recently given a Kindle 3G and it has both usb and mains chargers.

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

I have this one Kindle wifi and it only comes with a USB lead.

Like this post
tullie

Likes # 0

You can buy one for £12.99

Like this post
ßeta

Likes # 0

Just plug it in. It'll work.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

Just a quick update, I followed Fruit Bat's advice and tried my iphone charger with my kindle and I can report it works perfectly!

So no need to buy a kindle charger at Amazons extortionate price and one less charger to take away with me. That's what I call a result!

Thank you all for your replies.

Like this post
grey george

Likes # 0

I understand you've got it sorted, but it can be worth investing a small amount in one of these.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=usb+plug+chargers&tag=googhydr-21&index=electronics&hvadid=7186380409&hvpos=1t2&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=556562541243747336&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&ref=pdsl9p0hwd64q6_b

I got my plug in usb charger for an mp3 player which only came with a usb lead, I am now using it for all sorts of devices rather then power up a pc.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S5 mini vs HTC One mini 2 comparison review: Design and price beats additional...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

Colour-depth not resolution is what will make 4K a success or failure

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Which new iPhone 6 model should I buy?