We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

DVD blank disks

Terry Brown
Resolved

Likes # 0

I usually use DVD + disks with no problem, however I was bought (for Christmas) some DVD - disks.

Normally when I burn video (film) to DVD + , I have no problem, however with the DVD- , I have tried 6 disks and all fail to burn correctly (unusable DVD).

What is the difference between DVD + and DVD-, and any suggestions how I get around it.

Burning Software Nero 7

Operating System XP pro.

What is the difference between burning with a DVD writer on P10 and DMA mode/

Thanks for looking.

Terry

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

What is the difference between burning with a DVD writer on P10 and DMA mode/

Speed likely to cause problems if drive too slow in PIO mode

Re-enable DMA using the Registry Editor

Run REGEDIT. Go to the following key:

HKEYLOCALMACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

It has subkeys like 0000, 0001, 0002, etc. Normally 0001 is the primary IDE channel, 0002 the secondary, but other numbers can occur under certain circumstances. Check the DriverDesc value to see which one it is.

Delete MasterIdDataChecksum or SlaveIdDataChecksum, depending on whether the device in question is attached as master or slave, but it can't actually hurt to delete both. Reboot. The drive DMA capabilities will be redetected.

Open Device Manager again and check whether the device is now actually using DMA mode. If so, congratulations, you've made it (at least until the next time Windows disables DMA).

DMA Reset Tool http://www.mediafire.com/?5mwlfow2yig will do it for you. (if its still available)

Alternative Method—Uninstalling the Port 1. Uninstall the secondary IDE port To do that, open Device Manager as follows. Right-click on My Computer, select Properties, click on the Hardware tag, click on the Device Manager button, click on the plus sign to the left of IDE ATA/ATAPI Controller, right-click on Secondary IDE Channel, click on Uninstall. Deactivating is not enough.

Reboot to make the changes active and permanent.

After booting Windows will automatically reinstall the IDE channel and the DVD (or CD) drive. This Plug-n-Play process can take a little while, so give it a minute after the boot process finishes.

1. Reactivate DMA But this is not enough, because unfortunately Windows does not automatically activate DMA on a DVD or CD drive. You have to tell Windows to try to use DMA first.

For that, go to Device Manager again. Right-click on My Computer, select Properties, click on the Hardware tag, click on the Device Manager button, click on the plus sign to the left of IDE ATA/ATAPI Controller, double-click on the secondary IDE channel, click on Extended Settings and change the relevant setting from PIO only to DMA when available.

On Windows NT and 2000 you now have to reboot a second time, but Windows XP applies the change instantly. Then you can go to the same place in Device Manager again and check whether the device is now actually using DMA mode. If so, all is well.

1. Driver is not intended for this platform If you keep getting the following error message:

There is a problem installing this hardware.

IDE channel

An error occurred during the installation of the device. Driver is not intended for this platform.

then the way out is to rename C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\atapi.sys (or a similar path on your computer) to something like atapi.old.

If that's not possible, you can try it from the repair console (boot from the Windows install CD and select the repair console).

If Windows always automatically recreates atapi.sys, you can try renaming it in safe mode or from a command line window or you can try to rename or remove it in the driver cache as well.

Personally I prefer DVD- disks as I appear to have less problems with them, first check your drive is capable of using both types.

Like this post  
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

Fruit Bat?/\0/\

Thanks for the info, I opted for the DMA reset tool,requirs re-boot, but in the middle of another job so will reboot later (tommorrow) and let you know how I get on.

Terry

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

Fruitbat/\0/\

Thanks for the program, that that has cured the DMA problem, however there sill seems to be a problem burning. I will get some DVD+ disks and try that. If all goes well, I will know not to use DVD- disks in this machine

Terry

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

Well, I went out today and bought a pack of 10 DVD+ disks (Kodak) from Asda, and tried one - went perfect, then tried a DVD- and the same problem (burn failure).

In future I will DVD- for data only and stick to DVD+ for burning Video's; but I still don't know what the difference between the types of disk's are, only one works and the other does not.

Terry

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Terry - differences explained enter link description here and here enter link description here

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

Is your burner compatible with DVD-

download DVD Identifier from

DVD Identifier

this will give you all the information you need about your burner and any discs you are using.

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

Thanks to BT & Northumbria61 for your links. According to the burning Software (Nero7), it supports both, however for some obscure reason it does not like burning Video to DVD minus - Ordinary Data is OK.

In future I will stick to DVD Plus for Video work and keep DVD minus for dat files.

This is now closed and thank you all for your help

Terry

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

See the festive spots creative companies have released for Christmas

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad