We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

No sound

pcbobby

Likes # 0

I installed XP Professional SP3 on my daughter’s desktop PC. Unfortunately, in my haste I did think about audio sound issues.

The device manager is showing ‘Other devices’ with a yellow ? I have tried ‘Update drivers’ to no avail. I downloaded Realtek AC97, still no joy.

I am not even a novice when it comes to ‘sound’ problems. I would appreciate any advice to resolve the problem. Thank you.

The OS. XP Pro SP3 CPU. AMD Sempron MOBO. ECS M863 Chipset. 741GX

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 1

You could try running the free Slimdrivers. The first sound driver will be from the manufacturer's website and should be compatible with the chipset.

Like this post
pcbobby

Likes # 0

Thank you. I shall try this and report back later

Like this post
pcbobby

Likes # 0

Did not have any joy with Slimdrivers.

I notice that the Device Manager is showing a yellow ? against Realtek AC97 audio.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

You have tick the thread, is it fixed or not?

1. are you sure you have AC97? SIW click here will tell you exactly what equipment is installed so you can get the correct driver.
Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

It could be that you need to load the motherboard drivers as well, as these contain sound driver and modem files along with others.

One of these links should do the trick.

Terry

http://uk.search.yahoo.com/search;ylt=A7x9QXxLdolP.m4AMRLBQx.?ei=UTF-8&rd=r1&fr=yfp-t-702-s&p=ecs+motherboard+drivers+AMD+Sempron+MOBO.+ECS+M863+Chipset.+741GX&SpellState=&fr2=sp-qrw-corr-top

Like this post
pcbobby

Likes # 0

Fruit Bat. Sorry,I should not have ticked resolved. I have down loaded from your link Realtek appears, but in Device manager it has a! and not ? as I mentioned earlier.

Like this post
pcbobby

Likes # 0

Terry, will try your link after lunch

Thank you.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

"should not have ticked resolved" you can UNtick it by clicking on the green tick and it will turn back to grey.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Rick click the Driver and select properties it should give you an error No. / message.

Like this post
pcbobby

Likes # 0

I right ticked the Realtek device. Message as follows. This device CANNOT start. (code 10)

Tried various as driver downloads as above. Still no joy.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S5 mini vs HTC One mini 2 comparison review: Design and price beats additional...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

Colour-depth not resolution is what will make 4K a success or failure

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Which new iPhone 6 model should I buy?