We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Format

newmananddora

Likes # 0

I wish to format the hard drive in Windows 7. Can anyone tell me how it can be done?

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

How To + Some Cautions

What exactly are you trying to do?

Also note that wiping the whole drive will erase any Recovery Partition on there.

Like this post
newmananddora

Likes # 0

Thanks. I keep getting the blue screen and cannot find out why. I thought I'd put in a clean version of W7

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

What make and model is it. See label if not sure.

Blue screens can be caused by hardware or software problems. Reinstalling W7 should be a last resort.

Can you Restore to a previous time before the fault? Can you boot into Safe Mode and keep running without Blue Screen?

Tap F8 at boot for those and Repair options.

Overheating can also be a cause.

Like this post
newmananddora

Likes # 0

OK,thanks

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

Have to say I am concerned about the idea of you trying to do a major task like reinstall Windows from scratch if you don't know how to do something basic like format a disk. You could be digging yourself into a hole if you aren't careful.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Autoreboot Disable

1. Click on the Start button and then on Control Panel. Tip: In a hurry? Type system in the search box after clicking Start. Choose System under the Control Panel heading in the list of results and then skip to Step 4.
  2. Click on the System and Security link. Note: If you're viewing the Small icons or Large icons view of Control Panel, you won't see this link. Simply double-click on the System icon and proceed to Step 4.
  3. Click on the System link.
  4. In the task pane on the left, click the Advanced system settings link.
  5. Locate the Startup and Recovery section near the bottom of the window and click on the Settings button.
  6. In the Startup and Recovery window, locate and uncheck the check box next to Automatically restart.
  7. Click OK in the Startup and Recovery window.
  8. Click OK in the System Properties window.
  9. You can now close the System window.
  10. From now on, when a problem causes a BSOD or another major error that halts the system, Windows 7 will not force a reboot. You'll have to reboot manually when an error appears. You will now be able to read the error on the Blue screen and report what its says.
Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The 30 best TV shows on Netflix UK: Our pick of the best programmes you can watch right now

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

VFX Emmy: Game of Thrones work garners gong for Rodeo FX

IDG UK Sites

Apple 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina review (2.6GHz, 128GB, mid-2014)