We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

ADSL Router wireless suddenly opens

mosjandon

Likes # 0

I have had a Draytek Vigor 2600VG for quite a few years and most of my home devices connect wirelessly to it. Wirelesss security is enforced via WPA/WPA2 and strict MAC Address Filtering.

Earlier this week, I suddenly began to register a series of IP address conflict messages on the various computers which persisted even after I mnually released/refreshed their IP leases (IP Configurator) and rebooted the router several times.

Playing around on the router admin page, I discovered my wireless security had been set to OFF, as well as MAC Address Filtering also set to OFF with the permitted stations wiped clean.

I have no idea why or when this could have happened. I also do not think it was a case of the router restoring itself to factory settings through some momentary glitch as many of the other settings (including the wireless password, ADSL connections etc) were still intact.

HAs anyne ever encountered this? Is it the result of some attack?

The router firmware has not been updated by Draytek for a while now.

TIA.

Like this post
Mr Mistoffelees

Likes # 0

Change the router's password right away then restore your settings. Make the password hard to guess, something like: Yrg64&$^%Gsf%yeth45y25Y£%£a6i^gT%j^&earfwY4UTI0

Like this post
mosjandon

Likes # 0

Already done that of course thanks. The original password was quite cryptic too.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...