We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows 7 Evaluation copy, removing from C Drive

anniesboy68

Likes # 0

How can this be done, please? Cannot format drive.

Like this post
sharpamat

Likes # 0

You do not state what you will be replaceing the win 7 with??

It can only be presumed another OS. Normally booting with the OS disc in place, will get the option to boot from CD/DVD, installing by that method will normally format C before installing.

If restoreing to Factory settings this again will normally Format C before restoring.

More information will no doupt get more help

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

"How can this be done, please? Cannot format drive."

Are you trying to format your C drive from within Windows and while it is running from that drive? If so, that isn't possible, but you shouldn't have a problem formatting C drive after booting the PC with the Windows 7 DVD.

Like this post
anniesboy68

Likes # 0

All sorted now, I have managed to install Vista [urgh] over win 7. Thanks for replying>

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

You do know W8 Consumer Preview is free till Jan 2013. (possible chance of extension till next April).

While the main screen is the new Metro (phone like blocks), Desktop like W7 can be toggled. No Start Button. But I have had a quick play. Not as bad as I thought.

Note: If you install it you cannot uninstall. Would have to install Vista again.

W8CP 32 and 64

Evaluation Licence DNJXJ-7XBW8-2378T-X22TX-BKG7J

Like this post
anniesboy68

Likes # 0

Ha Ha. Cannot activate this Vista installation as it states "this activation code is in use on another computer". Well it WAS until I installed Windows 7 64 bit on that OTHER computer, so I assumed and assuming that the Vista O/S code I'm installing would have been cancelled by Microsoft. Am I right in thinking this, or can the code be only used once. Has anyone have a telephone number for the UK to contact Microsoft activation problems, as I cannot find one,and all the FAQ's do not answer this question. AB68

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

If you still have the keycode for Vista on that computer then you can restore Vista to that computer but not transfer it to another.That is if it is a COA sticker you have on the computer.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Try right clicking my Computer and select properties.

Down near the bottom it should tell you if the keycode is activated or not.There should be a button or something to press to activate now and it will give you 3 options.

I just retyped my keycode into that and it accepted it but it does give you the oppertunity to phone them instead.

Now that was using W/7 I would imagine it would be the same with Vista.

Like this post
sharpamat

Likes # 0

In general as far as I am aware Microsoft store the Numbers But do not cancell them.

Your Windows 7 copy would have needed its own key to activate.

If Vista was preinstalled (ie OEM ) it is valid for the life of the system but cannot be transfered to another system.The number would be on your system case or the documention which came with it.and activation is normally automatic

If Vista you installed was a full copy It would have required its own number to activate which would be on the box or email when you purchased it

Microsoft support details are http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950929/

As for Win 8 CP if you choose this route have a good read of the posts it the Windows 8 Posts. But it cannot be un-installed.Whilst this is a beta it has been reported that Windows 8 Release Candidate May be available to users as early as May 2012 but this is as yet unconfirmed

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

anniesboy68

It is worth talking to them! Here is a link to start you on the journey to a phone call!! Microsoft support

Like this post
anniesboy68

Likes # 0

If Vista was preinstalled (ie OEM ) it is valid for the life of the system but cannot be transfered to another system.The number would be on your system case or the documention which came with it.and activation is normally automatic.

Thanks, I will persue in due course.Win 7 64 bit was installed over the original Vista with a full copy, not an upgrade, so, common sense prevailing I would assume that my Vista disk [not an upgrade] would become spare and available for installation on another computer as I have done. Another thing, try as I might I cannot format the C drive. Windows will not let me. Iv'e tried format C: form the command prompt, had a look at Disk Management etc but to no avail.There must be a way around this somewhere. In addition another problem is that I have tried to install a WindowsXP Professional O/S via boot from hard disk, and it goes all through the loading up process and then informs me it cannot find the hard drive, press F3 to stop. All this for a friend of my son who I don't even know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Any ideas???????????, please AB68

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia Lumia 530 review: £60 smartphone offers decent build and performance, awful screen and...

IDG UK Sites

Apps watch: What the NFL can teach UK sports such as cricket and rugby

IDG UK Sites

Dell adds Intel processor to new Wyse thin client

IDG UK Sites

How to win iTunes Festival 2014 tickets: See Pharrell Williams, Ed Sheeran, Paolo Nutini, Kylie &...