We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Laptop appears to have stopped whilst installing updates

Barmoor's Kid Sister
Resolved

Likes # 0

When I went to turn computer off last night it went into installing updates - it has got to 5 of 8 and has not progressed since last night - it wont let me power down - any suggestions welcome

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

You can power off by holding down the power button. try rebooting afterwards and see what happens then.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

If it is set to close down when you close the lid do that.If not looks like you will have to hold the start button down till it switches off.

Like this post
Barmoor's Kid Sister

Likes # 0

The Laptop will not power down no matter how long I hold the start button down - I have now disconnected power and am waiting for battery to run down Any other ideas welcome

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Just remove the battery, then replace it.

Like this post  
iscanut2

Likes # 0

Are you holding down the start button on the laptop rather than the Windows start icon ? May be a silly question but might be the case !

Like this post
Barmoor's Kid Sister

Likes # 0

Complete Power down and as it resumed windows turned it off using laptop start button - did that three times and it eventually started windows correctly, i then restarted and it completed all updates within 3 mins. Thankyou all for your support today

Barmoor's Kid Sister

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia