We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Monitor resolution issue - any ideas

Beatnik

Likes # 0

Hello all

Any ideas about fixing this particularly frustrating monitor issue?

I have had a well trusted 19inch Hannspree monitor on an XP laptop for several years, running nicely at 1400x900 widescreen res via VGA cable. Until...

Two days ago I turn on my computer to find that the resolution has changed and will not allow me to use any widescreen resolutions. This has resulted in some particularly headache inducing settings.

I have tried the standard things - changing lead, refreshing graphics drivers, monitor drivers, changing refresh rate - no success. Uninstalling and reinstalling in safe mode didn't work. Tried rolling back to a previous system point, even altering the default res to 1400x900 in the Registry - no joy.

Eventually I tried out the monitor on two other computers running Vista and Win 7 - exactly the same problem.

So, it appears the monitor has somehow forgotten it is widescreen. Is this possible? Other than for the resolution, the display is fine. A factory reset has made no difference.

I honestly can't think of anything else to do. Has anyone else had this problem / have any thoughts on what to do next? Unfortunately, while the monitor has a DVI port, I don't have access to a machine with DVI out.

Thanks in advance

P

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

I am assuming you are seeing black strips down the side of your desktop? This may well be a sign of a failing monitor or perhaps an over scaling problem. If your card is an ATi then open Catalyst Control Center then click on your display then scaling options and drag the bar to the right. To be honest I do not know where the settings are in Nvidia but they will be there somewhere.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

If using Nvidia try this - Look under rotate display and change to Landscape.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Many monitors have an option to adjust the centre of the display and stretch the display to fill the screen. Have you tried the monitor's own controls?

Like this post
Beatnik

Likes # 0

Hmmm

Thanks for the above.

Unfortunately laptop has a bog-standard Intel graphics card - its software only allows limited playing around.

Adjusting the display only stretches the onscreen image - it doesn't affect the actual resolution - if anything it makes it worse.

For anyone who happens to stumble across this forum with a similar problem, I managed to bodge a solution.

It turns out the monitor is no longer broadcasting its DDC information - essentially rendering it non-Plug and Play. This resulted in the attached computer giving it a generic driver which seems to assume it is a 15 inch display.

To get around this, I had to create a custom resolution using a program called Powerstrip and forced the required resolution on the monitor. Unfortunately when I try to run this resolution outside Powerstrip, Windows throws a bit of a wobbler.

It may be a warning for further failures, but at least I will get a few more miles out the beastie before it finally collapses.

P

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

Watch this heartwarming Christmas short by Trunk for composer John Rutter

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad