We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Acer Laptop keeps restarting even before entering password to log in

Sean Tan

Likes # 0

Hi everyone,

I have an Acer laptop which has developed a problem:

Laptop spec: Acer Aspire 4930G Windows 7 Ultimate 4gb ram 250 hdd Bought in 2008 but it's treating me as good as a new laptop.

The problem: When I turn it on it goes through the start up process but when it get to the bit before I need to enter the password to log in, a blue screen with white text flashes on and then laptop restarts itself. The same process is going on and on without able to reach to the desktop screen.

I have tried and no success on the below: F8 on start up (Tried to repair and use last known good configuration) Put in Windoes 7 installer CD to repair (nothing comes up after I click repair, screen is on but waited ages and nothing happen).

I really dont want format my laptop as I have not back up all my files and documents and pictures (sadly I saved them in both C drive and D drive, which left me with no disk to format, else I would be happy to format it).

Some people suggest that it is the problem of graphic card, and some suggests it's cause by ram.

This problem is not just happen in windows 7, it happened on windows xp to some user back in 2008, which you can see from the below link. So I think this problem is not OS-specific.

I appreciate your suggestion and I am urgently need help because my exam is coming soon and I need to use my laptop T.T.

Like this post
Sean Tan

Likes # 0

@Nontek, Nothing is connected.

@Buteman, I have checked that and found no problem (as I did succesfully booted from CD to run the repair - but to no success).

@Fruit Bat, how to boot from the DVD to command promt?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

1/ make sure your PC can boot directly from the Windows DVD. Obviously, most modern PCs can. With older machines you may need to check the PC's BIOS

2/ Start the PC

3/ Immediately insert the Windows DVD into the DVD drive

4/ A Black screen will appear with the words 'Press any key to boot from CD or DVD'

5/ Press Any key to start the booting process

6/ A new screen will now appear with a progress bar. The legend say's 'Windows is loading files'

7/ After a few minutes the Microsoft copyright window ill appear and another small progress bar will be visible

8/ You will next see a Blue curtained screen

9/ After a short while the Language option screen will appear

10/ Select your language and keyboard language and the Click the Next button

11/ At the bottom left of the next screen - the Install screen, Click on the Repair Your Computer option

12/ The System recovery options will now search for your Windows installation

13/ Once the Windows installation has been located, Highlight it and then Click the Next button

14/ You are now presented with the set of recovery options

15/ Click on the Option you require and follow the onscreen prompts

• Startup repair - This automatically fixes problems that are preventing Windows from starting
  • System Restore - This will Restore Windows to an earlier point in time
  • Windows Complete PC Restore - This will completely restore your entire PC - programs, system settings and files - from a back up that you have previously created (Available in Windows Vista Business, Enterprise and Ultimate editions only)
  • Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool - This checks your computer's memory hardware for errors
  • Command Prompt - This opens a Command Window
Like this post
Sean Tan

Likes # 0

@Fruit Bat, as far as I know, my laptop stops at step 11 or step 12, which means after I click on repair nothing comes up and Im still on the Blue curtained screen.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

How long are you leaving it for? give it a min of 10 mins

Like this post
Sean Tan

Likes # 0

I gave more than 20 mins but still no progress... I am testing the Ram memory(will take a whole night for it to run the test) hopefully the problem is due to the ram...

Like this post
Sean Tan

Likes # 0

This is the message on the bluescreen http://i777.photobucket.com/albums/yy59/Sean747/IMG20120415003755.jpg

Like this post
Lazarus The 2nd

Likes # 0

This is the link Click here

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Yes definitely a hard drive problem that requires chkdsk

if you cannot run chkdsk from the DVD then an you remove the drive and connect to another PC and run the disk checking tools on it that way?

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Sean Tan

Got this from one of the other forum members.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SATA-HARD-DRIVE-CADDY-ENCLOSURE/dp/B002UZO07C/ref=sr11?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1333405638&sr=1-1

Add the hard drive to it and plug it into another computer and you can save any documents etc from it.It comes with a usb connection.

Just check which type of H/drive you have before ordering.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Should have added got the hard drive as well from Amazon Just under the £50.Different make but cheaper than the one that I removed from the grand daughters acer laptop.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

New iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...