We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Acer Laptop keeps restarting even before entering password to log in

Sean Tan

Likes # 0

Hi everyone,

I have an Acer laptop which has developed a problem:

Laptop spec: Acer Aspire 4930G Windows 7 Ultimate 4gb ram 250 hdd Bought in 2008 but it's treating me as good as a new laptop.

The problem: When I turn it on it goes through the start up process but when it get to the bit before I need to enter the password to log in, a blue screen with white text flashes on and then laptop restarts itself. The same process is going on and on without able to reach to the desktop screen.

I have tried and no success on the below: F8 on start up (Tried to repair and use last known good configuration) Put in Windoes 7 installer CD to repair (nothing comes up after I click repair, screen is on but waited ages and nothing happen).

I really dont want format my laptop as I have not back up all my files and documents and pictures (sadly I saved them in both C drive and D drive, which left me with no disk to format, else I would be happy to format it).

Some people suggest that it is the problem of graphic card, and some suggests it's cause by ram.

This problem is not just happen in windows 7, it happened on windows xp to some user back in 2008, which you can see from the below link. So I think this problem is not OS-specific.

I appreciate your suggestion and I am urgently need help because my exam is coming soon and I need to use my laptop T.T.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Try this - Press and hold the Power button after startup for approx. 30-60secs then leave the laptop OFF for about 5 mins or longer then startup again.

Like this post
Sean Tan

Likes # 0

Thanks Northumbria but I does not help =(

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Tap F8 at start up select safemode from the menu.

if it lets you in then back up your data before trying anything else.

Like this post
Sean Tan

Likes # 0

As I said, I tried safemode too, but still cant get to desktop screen..

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Can you get it to do a system restore using CMD in safe mode.

At the command prompt, type rstrui.exe, and then press ENTER. Administrator permission required If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Like this post
Sean Tan

Likes # 0

Well the problem is there is no way (even in safemode) to access to the desktop. T.T

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

If you have any peripherals connected, like anything USB etc, try disconnecting them all and then try starting again.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

PS - including external Hard-drive(s).

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

If it lets you in there you could also do sfc /scannow or chkdsk.

If using CD or DVD have you changed the Bios for it to run DVD's first.Could also check the date and time as well to make sure that is Ok.

Much the same as northumbria61.

Remove the Battery and the power cord.Then hold the start button down for at least 30 seconds as that should get rid of any static.Connect the power cord and try without the battery connected.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Boot from the DVD to command prompt and run chkdsk

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Get bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more this Black...

IDG UK Sites

Tomorrow's World today (or next year)

IDG UK Sites

25 iOS apps turn (Red) for World AIDS Day campaign

IDG UK Sites

Advanced tips for Mac OS X Yosemite: use Yosemite like an expert - 5 new tips added