We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Web sites, including PCA, have lost all their formatting

stlucia2
Resolved

Likes # 0

After running several anti-virus type softwares (Spybot S&D, Anti Rootkit, Malawarebytes, etc.) to clean my PC after something sent emails from my account to addresses in my address book, I then finally ran CCleaner to delete all temporary files.

I've carried out all these tasks before, without any problem, but today I find that most internet pages, including this one, are missing all their formatting. The content seems to be all there -- for instance I was able to log in here, and I've found the Start a New Subject facility -- but there are no backgrounds, all text looks like Courier, there's no boxes, and everything just displays as if it's in a list.

Seems like some piece of graphics software has got deleted, or disabled, unintentionally. Any idea what it may be, please?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

If IE try going to internet options- advanced tab and use the restore advanced settings.

Like this post
stlucia2

Likes # 0

Forgot to mention the essentials -- I'm using Windows XP with all updates, and Firefox 11.0 is my browser.

Following another link I found with Google, Ctrl + F5 corrects the problem, but I have to do that for each new page I move to. My View > Page Styling is already set to Basic Page Style, and toggling back and forth between No Style and Basic Page Style doesn't correct it.

Lastly, I've realised too that it doesn't happen with all web sites. Some examples where it does happen are this site, the FT site, RCGroups site, and Helifreak site.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

It's suggested here to get a new theme for fire fox, http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/817986#answer-293565

Like this post
stlucia2

Likes # 0

Thanks for that link, rdave13. Only problem I have now is figuring out what a "theme" is ... I suspect they're talking about what is called "Personas" in my version of Firefox. I'll try a new "persona", and then revert to my default one, and see if that cures it.

Since my first couple of posts, I'm noticing that pages for which I've used CTRL + F5 seem to come back okay when I revisit them.

Like this post
stlucia2

Likes # 0

Oh, why isn't there an "edit" function for posts here???

I've just tried a new "persona" with my Firefox, and it hasn't cured the problem.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Themes. Although if the web pages reset permanently after using the CTRL+F5, I'm not sure if it's worth changing the theme then reverting to default.

Like this post
stlucia2

Likes # 0

I think you're right, rdave13. It crossed my mind too ... it won't be long before everything's working okay because I'll have CTRL + F5'd all I regularly use.

I see that in Firefox CTRL+F5 is to "Reload (override cache)". One of the my settings on CCleaner is to delete the Firefox Internet Cache, so maybe I'm now building a new cache whenever I use CTRL + F5 on a site?

Like this post
stlucia2

Likes # 0

Hmmm ... it's not so simple. Powered down my PC for the afternoon. When I powered up again most sites that I'd already used CTRL + F5 on were working okay, but not PCA. And some others required another CTRL + F5 if I wanted to enter any data, even though their main screens displayed okay.

Like this post
stlucia2

Likes # 0

It took only a couple of minutes to uninstall and reinstall Firefox. That seemed simpler than trying to fix the existing installation. And it seems to have cured the problem.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

Watch this heartwarming Christmas short by Trunk for composer John Rutter

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad