We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

External speaker problem.

fedex1969

Likes # 0

A few months ago my pc started playing up then gave up all together. After getting it fixed, new motherboard, all seemed fine when I switched it on. Then after plugging in printer, speakers, etc. I had the same problem. I had it fixed AGAIN, another £80, and the same thing happened. It turns out the guy reckons my external speakers were faulty. The pc worked perfectly when I bought the speakers, about 18 months previous. I am worried about plugging the speakers in again if it's going to cause another malfunction. I'm wary of using the speakers on another pc in case that one breaks. Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Maybe not the same but I had a similar problem some time ago when, I think, the speakers somehow broke the sound card socket. In he end I had to get a new sound card and speakers. You could check the sound output by using headphones and maybe borrow speakers. I would think new speakers are cheaper than another repair.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

I am baffle as to how a set of speakers can cause problems to a PC which results in it needing repaired twice.You don't actually say what the problem is/was that needed a repair. I would imagine you are plugging in either 1 (green) cable or perhaps a pink one as well.

Any chance of a few more details,speaker make/model, what is happening or rather what happens when you plug the speakers in.

Like this post
fedex1969

Likes # 0

Thanks John. I've just plugged in my headphones and had sound through them. Do you think my speakers would blow the sound card again? Or is it worth buying new speakers? I'm loath to do this as the speakers were good quality and produced a nice sound.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

fedex1969

Maybe as Chronus says, you could give details of what went wrong before. Can you shop man test the speakers? Do you have any other ways of trying them (e g old cassette recorder in headphone socket)

Like this post
fedex1969

Likes # 0

Chronus, Please forgive my naivety. It wasn't the motherboard blowing, it was the sound card. My pc was built by a friend a while ago and I've never had any problems. As stated, the speakers were introduced 18 months - 2 years ago. Again with no problems. The sound card issue came out of the blue. The speakers are from Creative and include a sub-woofer. They are not expensive by any means but the sound was really good.

Like this post
fedex1969

Likes # 0

I have just plugged speakers into an old stereo and all I got was a humming sound. Surely speakers can't be faulty after such a short time?

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I do not know, except I had a similar problem. If they are faulty, can you return them under warranty? Could the guy who repaired the sound card test them?

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Why not, these thing happen. But it might not be anything worse than a loose or broken cable/wire. I don't know if you are able to get inside the speakers and check.

Like this post
fedex1969

Likes # 0

Fair comments, guys. I think I'll just cut my losses and buy some new speakers. Maybe I could sell the speakers at a car boot and put the money towards my new ones!!

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 1

Do report back if the new ones work, If they do the problem will be identical to mine.Good luck.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch R video review: The most desirable Android Wear smartwatch

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

2015 creative trends: leading designers & artists reveal the biggest influences & changes coming th)......

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad