We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

nvidia driver update and display problems

jake2

Likes # 0

I got a reminder in widows update to update my driver on my Nvidia gtx275. I did the update and the display has been screwed up ever since. I rolled back the driver and downloaded another one from NVIDIA but its still not right. The font appears small and very "thin" The red crosses to close a window appear slightly larger than they were and the icons on the desktop appear smaller aswell. I have checked the resolution on the card and the control panel and they both match up with the settings for the monitor. I thought about doing a system restore but for some reason it wont let me go back beyond the start of this month. Can anybody suggest a fix for this please?

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Have you got the correct Nvidia driver? Download from here choosing the correct driver, operating system etc. enter link description here

Like this post
jake2

Likes # 0

Thanks Northumbria61, yes its the right driver 296.10 that was the start of the problem. I tried a different driver (258.96) after that to see if that would help (as I couldnt remember what driver was originaly in place) But the issue remains.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

You could try an uninstall of your Display Adapter via Device Manager and then do a clean install of your downloaded (correct driver)

When you uninstall your graphic drivers, Windows will use some very basic drivers to display to your screen. After the reboot from the uninstall, Windows will prompt you with a New Hardware Found prompt. CANCEL this. Install the latest drivers from your manufacturer and you're good to go.

As for the need to uninstall, I've run into some problems by just over-writing what's currently installed. Nothing serious. Just a system hiccup which corrupted the install. I've also overwritten them without any issues, but just to keep the system clean/stable as possible, I go ahead and uninstall the previous drivers before installing the newer ones.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

I am sorry that this is no help at all but, unless you were actually having Display/Graphics problems, it is not always wise to update Drivers, especially Nvidia.

Perhaps something to remember in future.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Well it is obvious that the Windows Update is the cause of the problem. As you can't do a system restore you will need to do a search of your installed updates and remove the culprit.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Another way would be to completely remove your Graphics Card and treat it as a new install - instructions in this link on how to remove OLD drivers, card, and reinstall Card, NEW drivers. You could clean out any dust in the slot and on the card with a soft brush at the same time.

enter link description here

Like this post
jake2

Likes # 0

Thanks for the advice. In future I wont be updating the drivers once I get this fixed (if there are no issues) I think I will completely remove the card and drivers and go right back to the start with the original drivers on the original disc, there seem to a few issues reported online with the latest driver, (not sure if it is the driver that is causing the issue or like me the people installing the driver! lol) and hopefully get back to where I was. I'll let you know how I get on, (or ask for more help!)

Like this post
jake2

Likes # 0

Ok so I am no further forward. It seems that this is not an uncommon issue. http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=75746 I have tried various drivers and no change. I have cleaned the registry and reinstalled new drivers no change. The only thing I havent done YET is the "new install" The weird thing is that when the card is uninstalled from Windows the display looks normal, but as soon as the driver, ANY driver is installed the problem returns. Its almost as though part of the driver is not being remmoved or as has been suggested nvidia has changed the way its drivers are configured. I dont know. I have seen solutions offered that involve changing registry keys etc but thats a bit over my head. I would have thought that since the problem appears to be fairly common nvidia would be aware of it and have a fix? I have e-mailed nvidia to see if they can offer a simple fix.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Actually I think you may be mistaken but I may well be wrong. i think that after you installed the correct and updated driver you are now viewing the desktop as it should be, whereas before hand you were not. But can you clarify exactly what your problem is? Is it just that the icons on screen are too small? Try this: single left click on any icon on the desktop then holding down the left Ctrl key use your scroll wheel on your mouse to change the size of your icons to suit.

Other settings can be found here.

1.Right- click on a blank spot on Desktop

2.Click Personalize from drop- down context menu

3.From the box under Change the visuals and sounds on your computer scroll down to Windows Classic and click.

4.Now you will get the familiar dialog box similar to Appearance> Advanced in Windows XP.

5.Make your choices and Apply >OK

Like this post
Number six

Likes # 0

Try uninstalling your graphics drivers, then run driver sweeper before installing the new drivers. Works in many cases.

driver sweeper

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'