We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Slow Laptop

topdog07

Likes # 0

I have an Acer5943G Laptop which has been running fine until a week ago. It is now (sometimes) taking upto 10 to 15 seconds to open simple files and programmes. This does not happen all the time. It is also happening when surfing the net. Running a speedtest I get speeds of 3MB upto 14MB (14MB being my usual speed).

I have done a full PC virus search with AVG, Superantispyware and Malwarebytes but they have found nothing. I have also run CCleaner which has removed junk files and system errors but not fixed my problem.

When I tried using Windows Restore there were no restore points available.

It is getting to the point where I want to do a complete system restore but I am hoping there is a simple explanation of the problem.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks in advance, topdog

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Something sounds corrupt somewhere, but you've done almost everything I would try. Have you tried running chkdsk? I doubt it would help, but it's worth a try Otherwise, I'd say it's a restore to factory settings job (I assume you have everything important backed up?).

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Scan for virus and malware

have you got 20% free space left on your hard drive?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Scan for virus and malware sorry you have already done that

if HDD space OK could possibly be a problem with an update or a driver.

Also try Search - type

sfc /scannow

press Ok

let windows scan for missing / corrupt system files.

Like this post
topdog07

Likes # 0

I have 277GB free (of 577GB) just less than 50%.

I will try sfc/scannow.

thanks

Like this post
topdog07

Likes # 0

Fruit Bat

sfc/scannow is for XP I believe. What is the command for 7/64Bit?

thanks

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Still sfc /scannow, but you need to open cmd from the accessories tab, right click and run as administrator

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

You could also try last good configuration and system repair in safe mode. Check device manager carefully to see if any exclamation marks anywhere.

Sounds like you may have an unknown device in device manager and it keeps looking for a driver for it.Sfc /scannow works in W/7 without having to put the Windows C D in it.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Top 5 Android tips and tricks for smartphones and tablets

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...