We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Paypal account hacked!

hiwatt

Likes # 0

My partner got her bank statement and there was a payment of £285 to paypal!She hadn't used paypal and very seldom does. She checked her email and there was an email showing a purchase of an HD video camera(in USA dollars) She contacted paypal and they said they were aware of it and had suspected that a third party had accessed her account and placed the payment on hold! So how can someone get access to her paypal account/password etc?The computer is up to date with avast antivirus and a firewall,I have spywareblaster installed.I run Malwarebytes on demand scanner.I am always running various malware scans and it all comes up clean?Also no email attachements are ever opened? They have told her to change her passwords should she cancel her bank cards too?Thanks.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

I am paranoid about security and computer literate. It's still easy to make mistakes or not even know.

Did you/partner link your PayPal account to your bank by Direct Debit? If so, check your bank statements diligently.

(I was once card scammed, multiple purchases, and didn't notice immediately. Got my money back eventually but a right hassle)

If PP says Password change is enough then so be it. If in any doubt close the account and set up new with new name. Takes a week or so with verifications.

If any chance your babk and credit card details are compromised, tell them and request new (get enough cash out first).

Run additional scanners: Panda Active Scan (from Internet Explorer browser)

Emsisoft Emergency Kit (double click the downloaded bat file after download)

Both may take a couple of hours. Set them going while not using the computer. One after other.

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

If someone got her email address (which would not be that difficult - most people would use same email as for ebay and many other things and these do end up in public space), then all they would need is to guess her password. If the password is something associated with her (maybe place of birth or something posted on facebook etc.), then that could be a way in.

I know it is laborious, but I use different passwords for every critical login (e.g. paypal, ebay, several bank accounts etc. etc.) and passwords are not just simple words but short phrases that I have made up with numbers interspersed in them. And I never use any form of autocomplete or browser memory of passwords

Some people use a plugin password manager to avoid having to remember passwords. But to me that is just introducing another 3rd party risk.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

An Apple fan's perspective on the Windows 10 launch

IDG UK Sites

Sensor-laden kids' watch with 3G launches in Japan

IDG UK Sites

2014 Retina iMac release date rumours, specs and features: 27in 5K Retina iMac 'launching this mont'......