We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

AVG and PolyCrypt virus

Ikarus

Likes # 0

I'm running AVG Free on Win7 64bit. In the last four days on booting up AVG has thrown up a "Threat Detection" indicating a virus "Win32/PolyCrypt". On clicking on "Move to vault" it appears to be doing something and then comes up with the message "the file does not exist or is inaccessible". Later boots also bring up the same message with the same result. I did see one comment that this is a false positive and that AVG were dealing with it. However, I cannot find the file or delete it. Has anyone else had this warning and is there a solution?

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Download and run this to see if it finds any problems.it may also give you a fortnights trial of the pro version Accept it.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Like this post
Ikarus

Likes # 0

Buteman - I did as you suggested and have run a full scan with nothing being found. I have had the same result from both AVG and SuperAntiSpyware. There's either nothing there or it is evading the scans. Thanks for your reply.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

See here enter link description here You could download and run another Anti Virus program (BUT not at the same time) to see if it finds anything then you can uninstall and continue with AVG.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Ikarus

Could well be a false positive.

Pages and Pages of them when you google for it but most from a few years back.

maybe contact AVG and find out from them.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

buteman - maybe contact AVG and find out from them. I don't think there is any Support with the FREE version.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Not sure but it says free but not sure if it is only for the paid version.

http://forums.avg.com/gb-en/avg-forums

Like this post
Ikarus

Likes # 0

Just to tie up the loose ends. I uninstalled AVG Free, left it 24 hours and then downloaded and installed the latest version. The virus warning did not come up and has not done so since. Problem solved

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Ikarus

Glad you got it sorted.

If you want to dig into your pocket.

http://store.v3.co.uk/p24696-avganti-virus2012_1-pc

Like this post
daijonmiller

Likes # 0

PolyCrypt is a Virus that is spreading. It is currently ranked 99 in the world for online threats. PolyCrypt has been detected by AVG on victims' machines in 97 countries during the last month.

Translation company

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips for beginners: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite