We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

run time error XP pro

johnnyrocker

Likes # 0

this morning i get an ongoing message from allegedly microsoft saying i have a runtime error, it was alright when i closed last night , have run a full mbam sweep which found nothing any ideas? Xp pro sp3 etc

johnny

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Simplest solution might be to just run System Restore to a prior backup restore point (i.e., prior to the time this happened), assuming this is not a hardware issue.

Like this post
johnnyrocker

Likes # 0

tried system restore and unfortunately no change, an AVG scan in safe mode found nothing?

johnny

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

Try running (from run) chkdsk /f

This will run a check of your hard drive and fix any errors it finds.

You may need your XP CD

Terry

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Were there any clues/messages/error numbers, as to which software program was causing the error?

Did you try: close the pc down, unplug from mains, hold power button in for 30secs (to clear volatile memory and discharge any remaining power), then plug back in and boot up.

Like this post
johnnyrocker

Likes # 0

the only clue given was internet explorer "unauthorised shutdown", tried sfc scan and it said file in use and offered to scan on next boot which i accepted. will try lotvics ideas now and thank you

johnny

Like this post
johnnyrocker

Likes # 0

i would add that firefox has no problem. the error message was abnormal shutdown and not as i said "unauthorised"

johnny

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Do you have Google Toolbar installed? Try uninstalling it if you have, to see if the error still occurs.

Like this post
johnnyrocker

Likes # 0

i dont have google toolbar installed

johnny

Like this post
johnnyrocker

Likes # 0

additionally i uninstalled and reinstalled explorer with no effects and these messages are doing my head in

johnny

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

It might be one of the addons conflicting or messed up

Do you still get the message if you start IE in No Add-ons mode?

Start | All Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Internet Explorer (No add-ons)

Also have you cleared History and emptied the Temp folder and the Temp Internet Folder?

Start | Run | %Temp% | press OK (opens Windows Explorer at the Temp Folder so you can see the files)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Videos leak as Microsoft sets 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

IBC 2014 news: video post, CG and VFX news from Adobe, Blackmagic, Eyeon and more

IDG UK Sites

Retina MacBook Air release date rumours and specs: Gold 12in Retina MacBook Air almost 1cm thinner...