We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Overcoming Uninstall failure

tallboy

Likes # 0

I ame trying to load Canon EOS Digital Solutions software for my newish Canon EOS500D camera. During the installation it asks me to uninstall an earlier version (2009) of Canon ZoomBrowser EX, which came with my pocket camera, before installing the later version which is on the disk.

When I try to uninstall it from the Windows control panel (I run Windows 7 64-bit) it fails to uninstall - both in 'Normal' and 'Safe' modes.

How can I get rid of it and any associated (linked) files?

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

You could try the free version of Revo uninstaller Revo

But why use camera software? IMHO far easier to use a card reader, and a Photo software _ free for example: paint.net or something like Photoshop (various versions)

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

These instructions from canon europe

Like this post
tallboy

Likes # 0

Thanks for the quick replies John & lotvic. I tried both methods but they both came back to the same Windows 7 Uninstall screen and displayed the message 'Uninstall failed'.

Incidentally John, I currently use a card reader to transfer my images to my PC, (+ third party photo software)but obviously this means removing the card from the camera every time I wish to transfer some images.

Any other ideas how to overcome this 'block'?

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

I use Picasa which downloads photos directly from the camera with no need for additional software. It's an excellent way to manage/print/email etc phots. Free from Google.

Like this post
marvin42

Likes # 0

I'm with john bunyan on this - Revo is very good and I have never installed any camera software in all the years I've been using digital cameras.

Like this post
eedcam

Likes # 0

''Quote'' I use Picasa which downloads photos directly from the camera with no need for additional software. Jeez windows itself will do that so you dont even need Picasso

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Maybe worth reinstalling the earlier version, then try their uninstall.

Like this post
tallboy

Likes # 0

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I had hoped Canon might have an answer (since it is their software) but so far nothing.

Since I have Picasa installed, maybe I'll stick with that. First I'll try John Bunyan's suggestion - install the earlier version and see if uninstall works after that.

Like this post
tallboy

Likes # 0

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I had hoped Canon might have an answer (since it is their software) but so far nothing.

Since I have Picasa installed, maybe I'll stick with that. First I'll try John Bunyan's suggestion - install the earlier version and see if uninstall works after that.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

eedcam - I reckon Picasa is far better at managing/email/printing etc than the MS software.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday and Cyber Monday 2014 tech deals UK Live: Best Black Friday deals from Apple, Amazon,...

IDG UK Sites

Why are people still buying satnavs? Smartphones are the modern satnav

IDG UK Sites

New Star Wars trailer: Watch the VFX-laden teaser for The Force Awakens

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers UPDATED