We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Anyone had this call, from Microsoft?

Sapins
Resolved

Likes # 0

Just spoke to my sister-in-law in the UK who had a call from Microsoft! They said her computer had gone down and they would fix it, by coincidence her computer switched itself off just before the call!, when she asked if she was paying for this call she was transferred to another person who said yes she would have to pay so she put the phone down. A friend of hers had the same call saying she had too many icons on the computer, but, the best one of all was they they phoned another sister-in-law who doesn't even have a computer! I am just curious to know how this scam works or if anyone else has had a similar call.

Like this post
tullie

Likes # 0

This is a very well known scam to try and seperate people from their money

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

It is a scam (just google "microsoft telephone scam" and you'll see. Just tell them you don't have a computer and put the phone down.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Microsoft don't 'cold' call people. I've has two similar calls from 'technicians' supposedly working for Microsoft.

Like this post
audeal

Likes # 0

My girlfriend had a call from BT the other day to tell her that her internet keeps dropping and they can help her solve it, but thankfully she just hung up. It just happenes that she is with BT and was having this problem.

Like this post
iscanut2

Likes # 0

Threre have been many posting in the past about this sort of scam. Do not have anything to do with the caller and just ring off.

Like this post
Sapins

Likes # 0

Thank you everybody, you have confirmed my thinking it was a scam.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback