We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Kindle

iqs

Likes # 0

Hi, I was wondering if a kindle can view PDF files that are not downloaded from amazon,also can the kindle display images within a PDF file. I have loads of PDF files which were included with various IT books,would these be viewable on the kindle,like they would on a pc ?

Thanks

Like this post
ton

Likes # 0

Yes to both.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

You can copy to / drag and drop from pc to kindle 'Documents' folder via the usb used for charging.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Yes but in black and white of course.

pdf files cannot have their font size changed but you can use the zoom tool to expand parts of the page but this isn't always the easiest way to view it.

Like this post
iqs

Likes # 0

Thank you both for the help,so a PDF file that was supplied with a book will be viewable including images ,but the font size will remain the same ,interesting .i was told something different today when I viisted a local pc/ electrical supplier, hence the thread . Thanks all

Like this post
QuizMan

Likes # 0

I tried it once with a train timetable. It came out complete gibberish and unusable.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I have a Kindle (the £89 one) I am not that enamoured with with it. I find the buttons etc too small and fiddly. Yes it does what it is supposed to do - for reading books in black and white. I wish now I had got a colour ebook reader that was more flexible, you can get cheaper ones that have lots more features.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"Yes it does what it is supposed to do - .........."

That's really all you can ask from anything you buy.

If you want free extras you have to hunt around for them.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

morddwyd, I'm hankering after a Tablet will probably get the Galaxy, it seems to be more flexible than the iPad for my needs, but may change my mind after I visit a store to play with them :)

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

A pdf document is not a e-book

This is why you cannot change the font size like you do with the normal kindle files.

However you can use the zoom tool to enlarge sections of the page, works for me when using schematics in pdf format.

What doesn't work (for me)are things like screen shots saved in documents PDF format as they are usually too small when seen on the kindle screen and difficult to comprehend when zooming into only a section of the picture.

I tried converting a pdf document to a e-book file using calibre but it wasn't very successful with the document I tried.

Like this post
ton

Likes # 0

I think it is accepted that Calibre is not very good at converting FROM PDF to epub or mobi.

For other conversions it is very good(IMO).

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Top 5 Android tips and tricks for smartphones and tablets

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...