We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Change Hard Drive

ponytail

Likes # 0

I have just had my PC serviced and cleaned up at my local computer shop.I was told it would work much better with a larger capacity hard drive.It looks like the one I have is only 120gb and they have suggested getting a 500gb which would also speed it up.The problem is what drive to get how do I know what type I have ie Sata,Ate if those are makes of hard drives.Will it tell me somewhere on my Computer what I have installed already

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Trouble is DDR is so expensive compared with the more modern ones. Also, your mobo may not support more than around 3Gb, so I wouldn't put more than an extra 1Gb in.

Like this post
rickf

Likes # 0

Since yopu are asking about the hard drive it deoends also on the spin speed. There two 5400 or 7200 if |I remember correctly not withstanding all the other inputs from people.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Is no one else slightly worried by this statement?

"I have just had my PC serviced and cleaned up at my local computer shop.I was told it would work much better with a larger capacity hard drive."

The OP has plenty of space left on the existing drive, and has an external drive. I struggle to believe that a larger hard drive will in any way make the PC "work much better". The cynic in me says it's someone trying to 'scare' a user into buying something they don't really need.

Or is it just me?

And I'd love to know what's involved in having it "serviced and cleaned".

As many of us know: there are many ways of speeding up a slow PC. Yes, memory is often one of them - but that's dependent on a host of things including operating system, application mix and so on. The OP could add memory and still not see much, if any, performance improvement.

Like this post
ponytail

Likes # 0

The one question that has not been mentioned is could I transfer the entire contents of the 120gb drive ie the C drive onto the 1TB external drive.Could the external drive become the master.What would be the result of me moving the contents of C drive to the external drive and would the C drive start to to fill up again.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Ponytail: no, to all intents and purposes, you cannot use the external drive as a master. Your Windows installation and programs should remain on your internal/C: drive. You should transfer all your user files - documents, photos, music, spreadsheets and so on - to your external drive, which is what external drives are best for. Depending on how many/large your user files are, that should free up plenty of space on your master/C: drive. So long as you don't install any more programs, and so long as you set your applications to automatically save files to the external drive (or remember to transfer them across from time to time) you should be in good shape, and your C: drive will not start to get full again.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips for beginners: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite