We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How best to wipe a HDD?

Clapton is God
Resolved

Likes # 0

I'm about to get rid of my 10-year old XP PC and replace it with a brand spanking new Windows 7 machine.

After I've transferred all my files, photos, etc from the old machine to the new machine, can members recommend the best free software to 'nuke' the old HDD so that info cannot be retrieved from it?

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

If you do not want to physically cut up or shred the HD ( I used a hacksaw on my very old 10gig one) There are a number of drive erasers, but I would look at CCleaner. In Tools,Drive Wiper, you can choose various overwrite settings.I would have thought that after you have deleted your data files and use the 7 passes option, all will be un restorable.Have a look: CCleaner

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Other than completely destroying the old HD by smashing/burning/dismantling, it is just not possible to completely wipe a hard drive.

I would advice replacing the drive with a new empty drive, or sell it without a drive.

I have very recently done the same thing, bought a shiny new laptop and gave away my old desktop, minus its' drive which I have retained and will re-format to use as spare capacity.

Like this post  
rdave13

Likes # 0

I'd put the old HDD in a caddy and use Ccleaner's drive wiper.

Like this post
Clapton is God

Likes # 0

Thanks for your responses.

I've always used CCleaner to 'clean' my HDD but never realised it had a 'wipe' facility as well!

Looks like that might be the way to go.

Like this post
Devil Fish

Likes # 0

my preferred weapon for wiping hard drives is killdisk

http://www.killdisk.com/downloadfree.htm

if you fancy a look download create a cd from it then use cd to boot machine

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

BTW the CCleaner wipe on 7 passes takes a long time, maybe an overnight job.

Like this post
Devil Fish

Likes # 0

7 passes stick with Ccleaner then free version of kill disk only passes once

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Yes but the OS will remain on and do ensure you delete all data first.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

If wanting to keep a copy of XP on the drive, I would re-install from the CD, or Recovery Partition, then wipe the empty space.

It's too difficult to find everything and delete manually, before wiping.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G3 release date, price, specs and new features 2014

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 5s review: why the iPhone 5s is still the best phone you can buy in 2014

IDG UK Sites

PCs vs consoles: PCs still pwn when it comes to gaming (and everything else)

IDG UK Sites

NAB 2014: Affordable 4K cameras, boundary-pushing plug-ins & drone domination