We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Memory modules

Terry Brown
Resolved

Likes # 0

Currently I have 3 x 1gb memory modules (DDR2 240 pin) 1 at 667 and 2 at 533 If I change them to 2 x 2gb modules running at 800 mhz, will it make enough difference to worry about.

Motherboard Winfast 61502ma

Thanks

Terry

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

Just run the Crucial scanner, and It appears that I can only put 1 gb in each slot (4 slots)

Terry

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

What motherboard have you?

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

OOps, sorry just noticed it's a Winfast Foxconn 61502MA and I can find nothing about it.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Chronus - could this be the nearest? Chipset is 6150 RAM 1 x 4gb modules.

enter link description here

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

northumbria61

Well done, that looks near enough.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Terry - I don't know if that link above helps you any - it isn't the correct board but one with a similar chipset (6150 series) As you are already aware you can only put 1GB in each of the 4 slots as it appears your board can only support a total of 4GB. Shop around for RAM prices - your best bet would probably be to go for 4 x 667

Run SIW to obtain the correct details - ie: memory type, memory speed, supported speed, memory timings, correct voltage in addition to what the Crucial scanner tells you.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Terry - I am assuming your RAM is PC2-5300 667MHz - older RAM doesn't come any cheap these days - there are 1GB modules here enter link description here or another option would be E-bay but having had a quick look on there it doesn't appear to be any cheaper. If you would like me to look around for you I am willing to do so.

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

I have 3 x 1 gb memory modules 1 at 677 and 2 at 533, so the working speed (I assume ) is 533mhz.

I can get 800mhz modules from Crucical, what I was asking is 'Would it be worth paying out for new faster modules and what difference (if any) would it make?'

Terry

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

To be honest,very little. I doubt if you would notice any difference in performance.

Like this post  
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Terry - I agree with Chronus with regards to noticeable difference - but if you decide to upgrade then go for 4 x 1GB (all 667 or 800) If you go for 667 then you will just have to purchase 3. At the moment, as you rightly say your working speed is 533MHz

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 features wishlist: the changes iPhone and iPad users want in Apple's iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

25 Years of the World Wide Web: Happy Birthday, Intenet

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features