We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Avast- 'Stopped or in an inconsistent state'- What now?

buel
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi, My gf has just installed Avast and created an account with them, as promopted and yet still it repeatedly 'Warning, your system is unsecured' so when she double clicks on it she gets the message 'Stopped or in an inconsistent state'. Nothing she seems to do can cure it, please can anyone help?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

First of all I don't have an account with Avast as I use the free version. Use this removal tool in safe mode, http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility

Reboot and install the free version, Downlod the free version.

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Thank you, she though/she still thinks she installed the free version?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

This is my start page in Avast free version.

"Not connected with any Avast! account."

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

For the Free version you have to register your email details with Avast and then they email you your license code that you enter when you install the program. My email began with "Dear avast! user,Your registration of avast! free antivirus was successful. Your license key must now be inserted into the program.Your license key is:---------- " then follows instructions on how to insert it.

Is that what your g/f has done?

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

lotvic - Avast stopped using the e-mail notification system over 12 months ago. It's totally different now. Having downloaded and installed the free version you are either prompted to register the software at the end of installation or a pop up reminds you the following day.

You simply enter your e-mail address and name and it completes the registration. They don't e-mail you at all. Not even when you're registration is about to expire.

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Thank you very much!!

Like this post  
lotvic

Likes # 0

Taff™, the date of my email is 27 October 2011 10:32 from support @ avast.com and contained my license key with instructions on how to insert it. I am using using avast! Free Antivirus v5.0 (orange ball)

"If you are using avast! Free Antivirus v5.0, you will see an orange ball icon. For users of avast! Home Edition v4.8 (blue ball) 1. Highlight the license key above, then right click on it and select "Copy"...etc"

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

lotvic - that explains it. You're still using an older version. Most of us will be on version 7 now and the procedure is as I described. why havent you ever upgraded to the latest version?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Taff™, no that doesn't explain it, on checking I am actually on Version 7.0.1426 expires 1/11/2012 (my start page is same as rdave13's screenshot)

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I have solved my mystery of why I got an email last time. I was renewing not registering for first time install and I chose the 'Offline registration'

"no pass key has arrived and Avast says it is registered"

That would be correct if you have clicked on the 'Register' button in the program. Avast inserts a key for you and you never see it.

However if you clicked on the bottom option for Offline registration and went to the Registration Form on the website then you would be sent a license key via email, that you would have to copy and paste into the box that pops up when you click on 'Insert license key'. Screenshots and info on Avast support website http://tinyurl.com/6kqpglq

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes