We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Win 7 Startup Partition

bgrave
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hello. I have just reinstalled Win 7 on my No2 PC; I have installed some of my applications and it all seems to be ok. Unfortunately I forgot to include a startup partition; is it such a big deal when I have a Win 7 disc.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

startup partition?

Please explain what you mean by a startup Patition.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I believe that hidden partition is for startup repairs if you get any problems. Bear in mind it is hidden and only a very small so you might have it installed.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Erratum, should be very small one...

Like this post
bgrave

Likes # 0

Hello Fruit Bat, Usually when you by a PC this start up (Emergency) partition is there because there is no disc; when doing the reinstall I missed the option, tommorow I will be starting up the PC, normally the partition is hidden but it can be seen when using the partitioning functions in Win 7.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

The System Partition is found on most Windows 7 systems. It can be eliminated during install if you really feel strongly about it. I would leave it.

Explanation

It is not the same as a full, compressed Factory Recovery Partition provided by Manufacturers. That also contains all the free apps included with a new computer and will be say 12GB+

I assume you used a W7 Disc because you did not have an existing W7 Recovery Partition.

You can make your own extra partition on the main drive if you want (say 25GB+ uncompressed) and save a System Image to it.

Do this after all the W7 Updates and with AntiVirus, a handful of apps, screensaver, Desktop and settings as you like them.

Also a W7 Repair CD.

This also allows Images to be Restored and makes recovery easier and much quicker.

Note that System Images are normally made to an external drive, not the main drive. Then you are also protected in case your main drive fails.

Or with a clean install, and a mostly empty system, you can make a System Image to a set of 3 DVDs.

Or do all 3 methods for belt'n'braces.

Start Search Backup and Restore to make basic images and the Repair CD.

It is also a good idea to clone your W7 DVD to a 2nd DVD, in case of loss or damage.

Like this post
bgrave

Likes # 0

Hello all. Thank you all for your input on this subject; it now seems that I took the wrong decision and did not include the System partition option. However rather than go back an start again I have decided to go ahead with the installation and when I have everything I need on the C drive I will make a clone. Thanks again.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S5 mini vs HTC One mini 2 comparison review: Design and price beats additional...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

Colour-depth not resolution is what will make 4K a success or failure

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Which new iPhone 6 model should I buy?