We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

System has reached maximum size allowed

geoff47

Likes # 0

I am getting a warning that "The system has reached the maximum size allowed for the system part of the registry" when I boot up. Everything is slow for a while then it appears to speed up. I did a repair installation using my XP Professional CD, but the first thing that showed on boot was that same warning.

Any ideas ? I have searched but the information is confusing, even Microsoft doesn't appear to know the solution.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

The top one perhaps.Click here.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

There is no maximum registry size setting for XP VISTA or W7.

If you are running Windows XP, and get a error message about the registry exceeding its allowed size, you will need to look at other programs / drivers:

The primary culprit is usually Nvidia drivers.

If you have a Nvidia graphics card, or a motherboard with a Nvidia chip-set, you have Nvidia drivers installed.

You should go to the Nvidia website and download the latest drivers for your graphics card or motherboard. Then, use “Add/Remove Programs” to uninstall your current drivers. After uninstalling, reboot your computer and proceed to install your newly downloaded drivers.

Like this post
geoff47

Likes # 0

Since the repair installation I have been I have been updating, getting service packs etc. etc. There is yet another update going on as I write this. I don't think I have any Nvidia on my PC, I have looked via Everest, and Belarc.

Nothing seems to have improved with the repair installation and the updates.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Run Chkdsk, link. Run chkdsk volume:/r Might be a symptom of a hard drive going bad even though nothing to do with the registry.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

USe Ccleaner to clean the registry (very safe)

Like this post
geoff47

Likes # 0

I am away from that PC right now, but I have a nasty feeling it might be the Hard Drive. I was advised a little while ago about another problem it could be the HD on it's way out.

@ Fruit Bat I actually run Ccleaner regularly, thats why I think it could be the HD........oh bugger.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy your gadgets at launch: Wait and pick up a bargain

IDG UK Sites

Artist creates a geometric rave in a chapel for The House of St Barnabus

IDG UK Sites

Mac mini (Late 2014) 1.4 GHz review: Mac mini is sort of upgradable, but is it any good as it is?