We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Need software to delay start up items?

buel

Likes # 0

Hi, My gf used to use Win Patrol to delay some start up programs but she has now uninstalled Win Patrol (for other reasons), please can i ask is there a program to delay start up items? And is there any Windows Vista programs that could be delayed? Thank you.

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Hi, I have vista, not W7?

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

This is pretty good as you can also delay programs. Soluto.

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Thank you. Any opinions on 'Soluto'?

Like this post
Ex plorer

Likes # 0

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Thanks, it looks good. My concern, though, is that my gf's laptop sometimes takes 9 minutes to get to desktop and sometimes 2 and a half minutes?

She runs SuperAntiSpyware, Avast, Malwarebytes scans regularly, even defrags and only has Avast ticked in Msconfig.....any ideas what the problem is or should i start a new thread?

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Well that is certainly a bit longer than my 25 seconds from power switch to desktop. I suppose the laptop has plenty of ram? Try Soluto as a lot of stuff starts that msconfig does not list.

How long has your GF had the laptop? perhaps it's time for a fresh install of Windows?

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Thanks for that. She has had the laptop for four years. I've just addes 2gb of ram (and taken 1gb out) to make 4gb (Vista only 'sees' 3.5gb?)and done Soluto.

Im more confused by the vary between 2 and a half minutes and 9ish minutes?

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Check the disk partitions for errors/bad sectors as well.

eg C: Properties > Tools. Might take an hour or so on reboot.

Select the Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors box too

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Hi, Ok, i have done that and still a slow start up. However, please can someone give me their opinion on whether this is 'right'?

This is a snapshot of the task manager when it has been idle for over 15 minutes, i just dont see how there should be so much useage? The cpu useage is only 3% but you can see it has been much higher (I haven't run a single program in that time): http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa214/craigten/Graph.jpg

Here, i have opened some Google Chrome pages and a Windows Paint image and the usage seems high? http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa214/craigten/Openedpages.jpg

And here you will see that my gf is getting a message saying her D (recovery)drive is full/'low disk space' (when there is only 4mb showing if i go into the D drive and click properties on the 'recovery' data in there) Would this slow the laptop down? http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa214/craigten/Lowdiskspace.jpg

Also, there is now 4gb of ram in the laptop but the task manager shows '3038 physical memory'?

Please offer some comments on this, id love to get her laptop working better/quicker! Thank you

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Bumpy Bump.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

6 cheapest 4K TVs in the UK 2014: Get a UHD telly without breaking the bank

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air (11-inch, 256GB, Early 2014) lab tests and benchmarks

IDG UK Sites