We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows Vista service pack 2 won't install

Bathsheba

Likes # 0

I've been trying for a long time now to install SP2 but keep getting the following error message:

Installation was not successful. Element was not found. Errornotfound 0 x 80070490

Within the Windows update history it also has the following message for each time I have tried to install:

Windows Vista Service Pack 2 for x64-based Systems (KB948465) Installation status: Failed Error details: Code 80070050

I have been directed to various web help pages and have tried numerous things incl all four resolutions listed here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947366

Each time I continue to get the same message.

Not having SP2 means that I can't update IE which is now causing me problems viewing some websites. Any suggestions for what else I can try are welcome.

Thanks

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

First try running the system file checker, it may find errors.

What ever you decide to try then make sure all your documents etc are backed up. Things can go wrong.

Try installing the standalone SP2 after performing a clean boot, clean boot, see if that works. Remember to reset the PC, after trying, to start as normal.

Repair install of vista.

Like this post
Bathsheba

Likes # 0

Thanks for the advice. Is the system file checker part of my antivirus software e.g. Mcafee or is it a checker in system maintenance? I've done a full scan using Mcafee and there are no problems reported. I've done a check through the system maintenance option in the control panel and it reports some add-on problems with IE and that I have an old version of Acrobat. I think both of these problems are due to the fact that I can't update to IE v9 which is due to not having SP2.

I've backed up some of my files on an external hard drive but should I also do this thorugh the back up option in the control panel?

I've never one a clean boot before and I'm not really sure what I'm doing. Do you think I should ask someone with more technical knowledge to help with this?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Vista system file checker. Straight forward to do.

As for a clean boot follow the instructions in the link carefully. Then try installing the stand alone SP2.

I've never run Vista's own back up feature so hopefully someone can advise. Worth having even though it will backup the fault as well.

Back up your music,photos, favourites and all important documents you can think of anyway, as always worth having more than one backup.

Try the SFC first and see if it finds and corrects errors.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Top 5 Android tips and tricks for smartphones and tablets

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...