We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

'too large for destination file system' so need to change to NTFS?

buel
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi, I am trying to transfer a folder over 4gb and get the above message so i have learned that i need to convert my external drive to NTFS, i can see instructions on the seb but i wondered if there was any hints or tips that anyone could give me, plus i wanted to know are there any risks involved as i have nearly 1tb of data on my ex hd?

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

If you have other drives you could format then to NTFS and copy data as a back up. However theoretically it should be ok. Have a look here:

Forum: convert FAT to NTFS

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Hi, I have vista, not W7.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Here you are: Vista FAT to NTFS Just Google : FAT to NTFS in Vista for other solutions.

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Thank you!!

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 launch event as it happened: Read our Windows 10 launch live blog - find out first as...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK